Need inputs on my noise gate settings for high gain presets

Hansen

Experienced
I do not have much experience with noise gates, so I got some guiding from a friend who plays in a djent band. He says if you want to use a gate, you might as well make it sound really tight. I am playing quite complicated metal so I need a tight gate.
Anyway, he suggested this:
Threshold: -65
Ratio: 20
Attach: 1
Rel: 1
Hold: 10

He also suggested to use the layout gate + put a gate at the end of the preset. Same settings on both.
These settings works fine, but seems a bit aggressive to me. Are these common settings or too tight?

Download and have a look at the Bulb/Periphery preset, whatever the gate is set to there I'd take that as gospel.

In layout:
Thresh -55.0
Ratio -3.00
Att (fully counterclockwise)
Rel (fully counterclockwise)
This works just fine for me for super heavy presets w/EMG pickups

Last edited:
He also suggested to use the layout gate + put a gate at the end of the preset. Same settings on both.
These settings works fine, but seems a bit aggressive to me. Are these common settings or too tight?

Just go by ear. The key is to make sure that your input gate threshold is not set to high, otherwise you will actually start losing gain since it is essentially the same as lowering the input trim. Play with the input gate the most since it will have the most effect on the actual tone. From there the gate at the end can basically be set to kill, fastest attack, fastest release, hold to taste but the faster the better. And having more than one gate is not an issue. I am pretty sure that periphery is using three gates in there setups in addition to the amps noise gate for a total of four.

I generally have a few different gate settings depending on what I am playing. Tight rhythm playing gets multiple gates that are fast and aggressive, solos get the complete opposite, only using the gate to clean up whatever low level noise is coming from the amp sim when I stop playing.

In layout:
Thresh -55.0
Ratio -3.00
Att (fully counterclockwise)
Rel (fully counterclockwise)
This works just fine for me for super heavy presets w/EMG pickups

I put my ratio lower. Sometimes I use long hanging chords, and I noticed that the gate can't be too agressive... Then it will start to make some kind of weird noise..

Gates are nice. They also can make up for lack of technique, though at the same time can restrict the tone so much it feels like your gain went away. It also depends on what kind of tone you want - nodding to the mention above about the pre-gate tone affect - a lot of that music has a lot of cranky string sound. I don't care for it, but I understand its draw. In essence, and intimated above, set it to your playing style, not so much the music you're playing.

Back
Top Bottom