Need help. Going to purchase Axe fx but don't know what's best for me.

Discobizkit

Hey guys this is my first post on the fractal audio forums. I've been interested in purchasing an Axe Fx for quite some time. The problem is I've read tons of posts on many different forums and haven't been able to make a solid decision on which one is best for me. I always do a ton of research on anything I buy but the one thing that you can't really do with an Axe fx is try it out unless you know someone who has it. So i have a few questions.

Before I ask any questions let me give you an idea of the signal path and sound I use. Also the signal path isn't exact it's just the effects I would use not in exact order.

noise gate>compressor>Overdrive (Think ibanez ts9)>Preamp high gain style (5150/mesa dual/triple rec/Engl etc)>second noise gate(Depends on which axe I get)>Delay(Only for lead preset)> EQ> Virtual poweramp/cab> DI to audio interface/Use Axe fx 2 as my interface depending upon which axe I get.

My sound is a high gain metal heavily gated sound which is pretty common now obviously. I would be using that style patch for a rhythm and lead. I'd also have a clean patch with reverb, delay, and compression. That would be the extent of my patches. Maybe a few more not much more complicated than that for customers to use in my dad's studio if they wish.

1. Noise gate wise Is the noise gate on the standard ultra and 2 pretty similar and able to create that powerful start stop sound we've all grown to know in metal. I've heard the II has two noise gates but does that make it better than the older ones and if so is it a lot better or would the ultra/standard be fine.

2.Ive owned a pod, Guitar rig 5, and Amplitube 3. None of which really got me where I wanted tone wise. I'm looking to really step my tone game up with this purchase. For such a specific style of tone(which is that tight high gain sound) Would the ultra be enough to impress me or would the II be necessary to really get me where I want to be? At the moment I'm only looking for a studio DI recording solution and not something for live sound.

3. The Axe fx 2 has an audio interface option using USB. I have an older model mbox 2 which has served me well over the past 6 years. Would the audio interface option in addition to the other advantages be a reason for me to get the 2 considering I'm using it only in the studio for the moment. Also can you use studio monitors with the 2 when using it as an in interface? (I'm using ableton 8 would all audio play through the 2 when using it as a sound card?

4. Where I live the standard is about 1 to 1.2 thousand, Ultra 1.4 to 1.6 thousand. and 2 is 2.2 to 2.5 thousand. Since I'm using a low amount of patches and a relatively simple signal chain would the ultra have any benefits over the standard and if so would the 2 have an even bigger advantage over the ultra?

5. This kind of ties back into question 2 but I wanted it to be addressed seperately. The style of metal I listen to the guitar tone has a lot of nuances. It's that little bit of extra I want for my tone. While the software plug ins sounded good and for simple playing they would be fine but I want my that extra umpfh. It's hard to explain but when I'm listening to artist I like that I know use Axe fx the little things like pinch harmonics, harmonized leads, slides, palm mutes, and other neat little guitar tricks have this awesome definition I could never achieve using cheaper software plugs. Will the standard/ultra be able to get this or should I spring for the 2.

6. This question also ties into another I've already asked. Would the axe fx 2's audio interface feature give me a better tone than using the ultra/standard DI into my mbox?

7. I hear the Axe fx 2 is easier to dial in a tone than the others. I'm decent at getting a tone and working with these types of equipment but not amazing. I've used the eleven my dad owns quite a bit to help teach guys who come in his studio to find a tone. I'd have plenty of time to dial in a ton and would have fun searching videos and forums looking for help to get the sound I want. Like I said I'm not amazing and tr he Axe fx 2 has an extensive database of online user made presets I could use. Would I be able to dial in a tone with the ultra/standard or would I get frustrated and regret not getting the two?

Sorry about the long post guys but if going to be dropping this much money into a unit I'd really like to be able to ask questions which I find important to me. Thanks in advance!! Also I can link my soundcloud.com profile so you guys can kinda get an idea of the sound I'm working with now. I'll do that later when I'm on my computer and not on my phone. Money is a slight issue. But not if the two is quite a bit better

Also one last thing. The band's I listen to are Polyphia, Born of osiris, Periphery, Volumes , and the contortionist to name a few.

The better the model you buy, the more nuances you're going to get. Also, only the 2 are being developed so the difference is only going to grow. Unless you're really strapped for cash, buy the 2, you will not regret it.

Thanks for the quick reply. The nuance idea is what's most important for me and is the main reason Im being so picky about this upgrade. I was originally leaning towards the two but over the past few days I've been having a debate over which to choose. But I appreciate the reply and from everything I've heard the two is what I want. This reply just reaffirms that

The ultra and standard were amazing pieces of kit for when they came out, and they still sound really really good. But as far ahead as the "classics" were of the competition, the II is just as far ahead of the classics. And still getting better about once a month at the moment :)

If you possibly can, spring for the II. Best musical instrument purchase I ever made.

It’s really impossible for anyone else to know how picky you are, and base any recommendations around that, only you can decide that for yourself.

The 1 and Ultra are still great devices. But to buy a unit you know is not going to be updated is sort of like buying a 5 year old computer and knowing that you’ll never going to be able to update its operating system. Sure, it may still be fine, and maybe for a little while longer. But you also know there’s development and updates happening elsewhere and you know you won’t get any benefits of any of them. You are stuck in a time bubble of yesteryear. That’s why I said that if you’re really strapped for cash, maybe that’s an option. But look at the thread about the release of version 13 of the firmware for the Axe Fx 2 just recently and see how happy everyone is. That’s where the party is and to me, that’s where I want to be. My guess is that there’s where you want to be too - the 2 is the one you want. And even if it doesn’t work out for you, modellers are not for everyone and you’ll only know after having a proper play for a few weeks, you can most likely sell it for the same money you bought it for if you buy a used one.

Enjoy :)

I got my 2 in Oct '13 and it was great out of the box. Since then it has developed significantly and sounds and feels so good that I have never played so much. If you can afford the extra cash it will be the best gear investment you ever made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was on the fence too one day trying to determine if I should get the FX2 or the ultra. I eventually decided to spend the extra $$$ and get the FX2...and I'm glad I did... all of the new firmware updates on the FX2 to make it sound, operate, function like a real amp is where it's all going. Yes, you can get a standard/Ultra to "sound" amazing but with the FX2, you get it to "feel" amazing.

joe...

Back
Top Bottom