Nearfields inaccurate, NS10s??

the TR-6 is far from "flat", i found them to have a big bump in the low mids. personally im a big fan of the ADAM A7s for the lower price range

Have a read of this:

http://www.soundonsound.com/pdfs/ns10m.pdf

It will tell you lots about the NS10s and why they are popular as a reference monitor.

I also like looking at the waterfall plots showing the decay time, which seems to be something people rarely consider.

Here's the summary:

6. SUMMARY
From the investigations presented, and from experiences in the use of the NS10M, it would appear that
the following statements can be made.
• The free-field frequency response of the NS10M gives rise to a response in typical use which
has been recognised by many recording personnel as being what they need for pop / rock
music mixing. The principal characteristics are the raised mid-range, the gentle top-end rolloff,
and the very fast low-frequency decay; the latter is aided by the 12dB / octave roll-off of
the sealed-box cabinet.
• The time response exhibits a better than average step function response, which implies good
reproduction of transients. Many people speak of the "rock and roll punch" of the NS10M.
• The distortion characteristics are also better than average for a loudspeaker of such size.
• The output SPL is adequate for close-field studio monitoring with adequate reliability.
• In many of these characteristics, the NS10M mimics the response of many good larger
monitor systems in well-controlled rooms. They are hence recognisable to many recording
personnel in terms of their overall response.
• They are tools to achieve a well-balanced mix. It is notable how many of the people who use
them in studios do not use them for home listening.

i have never had any really decent monitors. im currently running Event TR5s that Ive had for around 4 years. I find them better than my Samson Resolve a65s I had previously (which were too middy and lacked bass).

I do find them a touch bassey though - could well be in the low mids (150 - 200hz ish probably) but I dont find it a problem really. i just mix slightly bass heavey and its fine when listening back. Ive NEVER found a mix done on them to be tinny when played back.

The Adams mentioned are very good - but considerably more expensive than the Events. Not sure how much better you'll get in the same "financial" area. The KRKs rocket 6s or 8s may be worth a look - though they are a little more than the Events.

FWIW, I have NS10's and prefer mixing on B&W CDM-9NT's. Yes, a lot more expensive and they let me get a more accurate representation of the frequencies in the mix. Sure, if you can make a mix sound good on NS10's, it may sound good on a lot of systems. However, I prefer the better accuracy of the B&W. It often comes down to learning your monitors and how they will translate to other systems and it seems there is less time wasted "learning" on more accurate speakers.

Back
Top Bottom