Neardield or another full range speaker

jasmeece

Hi all, up to now I have been monitoring my FM3 with a headrush 8” speaker straight from the FM 3 with some success. This is basically a practice set up and to dial in some tones. I am getting ready to move my system over to more of a studio set up and I was wondering should I look for some near field speakers or just continue with what I have ? Anyone have any experience with both and the FM 3?

Get studio monitors with that budget. You won’t be able to get either (a) a FRFR speaker that’s signifiantly enough better than the Headrush at that budget to make it worth it or (b) 2 of anything better than the Headrush so you can have stereo.

So, in other words, I prioritize stereo through decent studio monitors over a single FRFR, but you may differ.You could potentially get a second Headrush, but I wouldn’t.

I'll caveat the below by saying it depends on what you need from more of a 'studio set up' and the level you're aiming for.

At $500 for two monitors, I would expect you are coming in under the price point to get something that will be satisfactory for bass (or guitar for that matter). There are options but if your desire is a more neutral reference sound then it'd have to be second-hand and a good deal. Possible - but hard. I'd use the Headrush for a bit longer until you can bump the price point up a bit higher and skip the buy/sell/buy merry-go-round.

If you're primarily playing bass and need your tones/presets to translate outside of your room then you need a larger speaker size to give you the impact and energy. Unless you're supplementing with a quality sub I would bypass 5-7" monitors

I've done the journey of moving from a 10" Headrush with a Helix, to an EV 12" on the Helix and then Fractal, and found both were totally fine in dialling in sounds for PA use. I switched to HS7's for apartment use and I'm happy with them - they translate well enough to outside venues. However, they are different to the PA-style FRFR speaker. A 7" speaker can't replicate the size/energy of a 10" or 12" option even when at similar volumes.

Thanks for all of the replies. I think that I will take the advice and keep using the headrush for a little while and see how things develop. It really does sound fine for what I use it for.

Back
Top Bottom