Chef's Operation Mindcrime

Swedish Chef

Power User
Tweaked the Recto Red 6.0 preset a bit. I basically separated the cabs into two separate blocks. That's it...

A bit more gain than needed but what the heck, the separation of the Axe-FX is awesome anyway...

Last edited:
Thanks! I love that album...

The tone is somewhat boomy/bassy, I would've filtered the bass a bit if this was a full on band mix.

cant ya put an mpeg of a girl strippin or something? otherwise Im comin after yer vid with a buzz cutter! but I digress

Nice job, the character of the tone seems about right. I'm not in a great listening environment right now (laptop speakers) but it seems a ittle too rolled off in the top end. The OM guitars were suuuuper bright with a lot of HF, and not so much low end (guessing they were rolled off gently around 300 hz) Also in a full band context you might want to roll back the ambience a bit.

Just off the top of my head from my laptop speakers, so YMMV. Good job though.

Pulled from the net...

"There are two distinct periods in Queensryche's guitar sound: pre-Empire, and post-Empire.

Chris' tone was noticeably warmer than Wilton's, even in the band's early recordings. His sound has less upper midrange, more low end, and is much smoother. He got his sound using Kramer super strats through Marshall JCM800 100 watt heads, and Marshall 4x12 bottoms with Celestion Vintage 30s. Around the time of Operation: Mindcrime both DeGarmo and Wilton switched to ESP guitars. Chris also obtained an ESP custom doubleneck (shown above) which he used for Silent Lucidity. Effects from this period were rack mounted Roland and Yamaha digital processors. The sound was very bright and edgy. Says Chris: "On Mindcrime, I went for a colder, icier approach. We were going for a brutal sound — almost annoying, really."

On Empire, however, the guitars became noticeably warmer and fatter, courtesy of huge Bradshaw rigs. DeGarmo began using a Soldano preamp around this time which really fattened his sound. He also began using a Les Paul to compliment his ESP's. In the studio, he began using smaller 1x12 cabinets. Chris continued to rely on various digital processors for delay, chorus, and reverb."

The Soldano preamp & JCM 800 are models within the Axe II. Try them instead of the Recto as a good starting point. You should end up being worlds closer.

I thought they used Wizard amps during Mindcrime? (sort of in the vein of a JCM800) Love that album to death, but frankly, never really liked the distorted rhythm guitar tones on that album...

I've always aimed at dialing in the Mindcrime tone with my Marshalls through the years, I used to use a Roland GP-8 effect rack back in the early 90s and at the time had a Marshall 9200 stereo rack mount amp head through a pair of jcm 800 cabs and that was the closest I ever got to the Chris Degarmo tone. I miss that GP-8. Quality effects in that rack.

Back
Top Bottom