My son has a technical effects loop question I can't answer

So, I can't sleep...and I was skimming through Yek's guide to the amp blocks.

The "Tube Pre" model includes this little tidbit:

“If you only need power amp modeling, for example when using an external
pre-amp through the Axe-Fx, use the Tube Pre model. It uses the Vintage
tonestack which is flat when the tone controls are at noon.”

So....yeah. The way you'd do a normal effects loop would probably be to pick your amp, disable power amp modeling on the block, run through the effects, then run through an amp block with the Tube Pre model and set it's power amp how you want it.

“If you only need power amp modeling, for example when using an external
pre-amp through the Axe-Fx, use the Tube Pre model. It uses the Vintage
tonestack which is flat when the tone controls are at noon.”

So....yeah. The way you'd do a normal effects loop would probably be to pick your amp, disable power amp modeling on the block, run through the effects, then run through an amp block with the Tube Pre model and set it's power amp how you want it.
This got discussed a few times in the past. It is meant for external preamps.

Cliff sometimes recommended to not using two poweramp blocks in series.
These blocks have their own dedicated CPU and they process the signal at a higher sampling rate, so there might be technical reasons. I don't know.

These blocks have their own dedicated CPU and they process the signal at a higher sampling rate, so there might be technical reasons. I don't know.
I obviously don't know exactly how the Fractals work internally, but generally there isn't a real problem upsampling and downsampling as long as the algorithms used are good. Maybe it's something to do with latency?

I think it's just more of a "you're trying to do something for no real benefit" type of thing. No need to overcomplicate your signal chain, forget about effects loop placement, there's absolutely no reason to worry about that in a virtual signal chain.

I obviously don't know exactly how the Fractals work internally, but generally there isn't a real problem upsampling and downsampling as long as the algorithms used are good. Maybe it's something to do with latency?
I guess yes, latency gets increased there, but who cares, the axe is fast anyway.

I think it's just more of a "you're trying to do something for no real benefit" type of thing. No need to overcomplicate your signal chain, forget about effects loop placement, there's absolutely no reason to worry about that in a virtual signal chain.
Maybe too many users would start to bitch when they mess up the gain or when they get artifacts while editing?

Back
Top Bottom