My 40 year journey to my ultimate guitar rig- a pictorial.

DavidCarrMusic

Inspired
I've recently become a proud owner of an FM9, an upgrade from a 3 and before that the XLII+. My 9 has done a couple of gigs already and the rest of the time it sits proudly beside me in my studio, which is my day gig.
To me the FM9 is simply a miracle.

The gratitude I have for owning such a monumental device has caused me reflect on the many rigs I've owned and abused over the course of a life playing guitar. Being a hoarder I still have rooms of old gear. Once I discovered eBay in the 2000's (and being way too sentimental) I started re-purchasing gear I wish I'd never sold and stuff I couldn't afford as a starving musician in the early 90's.

On my instagram page I've started a series posting photos of my first rigs and guitars, some are reconstructions of rigs, some are the actual gear.
So here is rig number 1 from 1982-3. An Ibanez '75, a 20 watt cube, an Ibanez UE300 (with the TS9) and my first ever pedal- an '81 Phase 90.
I'd love to see your rigs too!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-05-08 at 8.18.41 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2024-05-08 at 8.18.41 pm.png
    754.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
I've recently become a proud owner of an FM9, an upgrade from a 3 and before that the XLII+. My 9 has done a couple of gigs already and the rest of the time it sits proudly beside me in my studio, which is my day gig.
To me the FM9 is simply a miracle.

The gratitude I have for owning such a monumental device has caused me reflect on the many rigs I've owned and abused over the course of a life playing guitar. Being a hoarder I still have rooms of old gear. Once I discovered eBay in the 2000's (and being way too sentimental) I started re-purchasing gear I wish I'd never sold and stuff I couldn't afford as a starving musician in the early 90's.

On my instagram page I've started a series posting photos of my first rigs and guitars, some are reconstructions of rigs, some are the actual gear.
So here is rig number 1 from 1982-3. An Ibanez '75, a 20 watt cube, an Ibanez UE300 (with the TS9) and my first ever pedal- an '81 Phase 90.
I'd love to see your rigs too!
By the time I didn't have the money to pay me photos of anything I used...also it just wasn't the habit I guess, we just played and we're not bothered by all the communication stuff. GAS was a syndrome that came with ebay and the internet actually for me. Anyhow, it's a great time for guitarists and FAS is a real asset for all of us.

Screen Shot 2024-06-16 at 7.03.39 pm.png

Here is rig number 2 I had circa 1987. Instead of this Marshall mosfet 75, I had the 100 watt head and 4 x 10 quad. My pedals were split into the amp and the Rockman which went direct to FOH. The only thing missing was a delay.

Back
Top Bottom