Mutron

Dave Moore

The new fm9 firmware adds mutron as a filter type, I did not see this in the latest axe fx III beta notes. Anyone running the beta know if this is in the new axe firmware?

I figured, I have an fm9 as well going to update and check it out later today. I've gotten pretty close with the filter block so looking forward to hearing how it sounds

When I see mutron I am always reminded of the Moog pedals. I would always tell myself, I’ll buy it later, then when I was ready they were discontinued. I hope this is as organic as a Moog pedal!

Last edited:
The Mutron sounds like its similar to the Lovetone Meatball which was famously used on Metallica's "I Disappear" track... keep me honest here though.... would this effect provide the same thing? :D

The Mutron sounds like its similar to the Lovetone Meatball which was famously used on Metallica's "I Disappear" track... keep me honest here though.... would this effect provide the same thing? :D
The Lovetone Meatball is amazing, a bit more of a Swiss Army Knife than most of the Mutron envelope filter versions. I lusted after one for a long time, as a friend used one quite heavily back in the mid-90s when they came out. I eventually got one about 20 years ago, and it lived on my pedalboard for a few years. They were going for crazy money for a while, but that seems to have calmed back down again. I'll have a dig into the Axe FX Mutron and see if can do all the crazy stuff the Meatball can.

The Meatball is an absolute rabbit hole of a pedal. I always think it is to envelope filters as the Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe is to vib/trem/chorus pedals. Capable of almost anything, but some care, thought and experimentation needed to get what you want from it.

I used a Meatball on this recording. Short passage around 0:35:

Liam

Last edited:
The Lovetone Meatball is amazing, a bit more of a Swiss Army Knife than most of the Mutron envelope filter versions. I lusted after one for a long time, as a friend used one quite heavily back in the mid-90s when they came out. I eventually got one about 20 years ago, and it lived on my pedalboard for a few years. They were going for crazy money for a while, but that seems to have calmed back down again. I'll have a dig into the Axe FX Mutron and see if can do all the crazy stuff the Meatball can.

The Meatball is an absolute rabbit hole of a pedal. I always think it is to envelope filters as the Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe is to vib/trem/chorus pedals. Capable of almost anything, but some care, thought and experimentation needed to get what you want from it.

Liam
How close does the Axe come to the range of options of the Voodoo Vibe?

How close does the Axe come to the range of options of the Voodoo Vibe?
Good question. I don't actually own a Voodoo Vibe anymore, which I guess answers the question to some extent... ;) I used to use one for a lot of tremelo effects, and the Axe FX recreates all of those very well. I had to think about things a bit to get the "bias" and "symmetry" settings I favoured for some of the more extreme sounds. It can almost certainly cover the full range of vib and chorus effects too. However there was always something fun about spinning those chicken head knobs searching for something "out there" and groovy.

Liam

I have a Lovetone Meatball. It's pretty much as tweakable and advanced as an envelope filter gets. It even has its own effects loop for dong some really funky sounds with a fuzz or octavider.

IMG_3786.JPG

I didn't realize a Mutron was added in this beta. I'll have to update to Beta 7 now, and try it.

Back
Top Bottom