MosValve to Good 2x12 or Verve 12mA?

hwav

I just got the Ultra- replacing a Digitech GNX3000 into a MosValve 80 watts x 2 (has anyone noticed the MosValve and Axe-Fx logo fonts are almost identical?) into an old Peavey 4 x 12 (some form of Celestion 16 ohm speaker-haven't looked in a long time) and/or Genz-Benz 1 x 12. I ran the GNX300 WITH cab sims- it sounds better (hey, Jennifer Batten uses 1)- it worked ok. Now running the Ultra through this rig sounds better- but I'm getting a little bit of a bright tone initially and wanted to get a really good cab- at 1st I thought Bogner OS 2 x 12 but now considering Port City OS 2 x 12. 1st off, the Axe can sound good with cab sims off- but sometimes better with them on (my wife listened to the 1st preset with it off, when I turned it on she really perked up and said "that's better!") Now I'm reading the good responses to the Verve 12mA saying how it fills the room with sound in a really non-directional way- this is the same claim and response people say about the Port City cabs- they come with Vintage 30's which color the tone- some people love it, some hate, I don't know!. Greg Howe is using Axe/Port City. Celestion claims that 1 of their speakers (Classic Lead 80?, can't find it now) are flat and good for modelers, I could leave cab sims on? The Verve and Port City cost about the same. I'm into Jeff Beck (just saw him, AMAZING, has 2 old Marshall heads and a Channing head), Pagey, Morse, and Buckethead. Thoughts?

I have a Mosvalve 962. I haven't tried it with the Axe-FX but it did sound pretty good with a Boss GT-10 and a pair of Port City OS 1x12. But the Rocktron Velocity 300 sounds better with the modelers. The Mosvalve sounds better with tube preamps than the Rocktron though.

Ya I bought it in the 80's to go with ADA-MP1- it's a good power amp. Anyone else switch from similar rig to Verve?

MosValve to Good 2x12 or Verve 12mA?

These are two immensely different ways to approach sound, the match between your stage tone and the FOH, and the desire to monitor versus project. And the two mentioned solutions are so radically distinct, nobody can provide any advice. Sure, people can have an opinion on how good the MosValve amp is, or how good a given cabinet is... and people can also have an opinion on how good the Verve is as an FRFR speaker. But the decision between amp/cab and FRFR is one that only you can make. The verve works quite well for several people, but those are users who have embraced the FRFR philosophy. They can't make you embrace that philosophy, any more than amp/cab users can make you reject it.

Not what you were asking for, I'm sure, but you have to first decide whether you want the advantages *and* disadvantages of FRFR, or the the advantages *and* disadvantages of amp/cab. Then look for good options that fit the approach you have chosen.

Now this is my philosophy; to get the most out of the AxeFx, the FRFR solution is the best way. With a power amp and 2x12, unless the cab is flat with no coloration your sound will always incorporate the inherent sound of the cab. The power amp may also impart some coloration as well. With FRFR, you are free to create any sound you are capable of without the limitation of the colorations of the cab.

Now if your sound only requires the type of sounds that your 2x12 excels at, you are set with using that 2x12.

It all depends on how much variety you want or need.

There you go, one supporter of one of the two philosophies just expressed his opinion. It could just as well have been a supporter of the other philosophy (amp&cab), and it may yet come. And you'll be no further ahead.

For the record, I started using my Axe with an amp and a cab. It took me a long time (and a lot of money lost buying and reselling gear) before I converged on my own philosophy (FRFR). You'll also find users who went the other way - they tried FRFR, never got it to work for their own taste, and went back to amp and cab. All I'm saying is you can't rely on others' opinions to help you make that particular choice. Take your Axe into a shop and try out some FRFR solutions. Ditto for amps and cabs. It may take some time, maybe there are no shortcuts.

Back
Top Bottom