Mono/Stereo/Mono Routing

Steeldom

Hey y'all,

I've pulled the plug on a used Axe-Fx 2 and am very excited :)

I have a specific thing I want to do with it and maybe you can help me out with the digital routing. It's going to be a 4CM with multiple amps.
So Guitar-Axe pre FX-Send to 2 amps-return-Post FX- FOH or amp return.
I want the switching between amps to be done in the Axe-Fx via Left/and right. (or if you have a better solution I'm all ears)

So my thought is this: Send a Stereo out to two different inputs of the amps and return their respective outputs to the stereo inputs of the axe fx.
I then want each scene to change the send (or return whichever works better) of that fx loop to pan left, pan right or in the middle for a mix of both amps.

After that there should be a mono signal in the Axe fx that I can then use to apply effects, even stereo, as if it was just one amp.

So how to I achieve this?

Thanks in advance!

I'm reposting, because I realize you are wanting a stereo signal to go to front of house from Axefx also - the tricky part about that is, for FOH from Axefx, you'll want some cab and power amp emulation engaged - but for monitoring via your physical amps, you probably don't want any cab or power amp emulation engaged. If your physical amps have cab emulated line out capability (tapped after power amp stage), those line outs could go to FOH instead of a feed from Axefx, and you could use the example below without a cab block engaged - but that would only work if using mono post fx. Anyway - hopefully this example will get you started - disengage the cab block to monitor through your physical amps / cabs (mono post fx viable only if only one amp active at a time), engage it to monitor through Ax2 output only with no power amp simulation (allows for stereo post fx) (you could add power amp simulation in Axefx for this case, but that's for a later discussion)...

Original Post:

(full disclosure: basement hacker here, not gigging musician)

Been a while since I did this on my Ax2-mk1, but, from what I recall pretty much how you have described - here's a bit more detail: The preset could look something like below: A modifier on the balance control of the FXLoop block could control which active external amp's signal is admitted into the grid (both physical amps would actively process signal, but you'd only be letting one back in at a time). A foot-switch connected to the modifier could toggle it hard left or right for Amp A or B (the manual has info on how to set up a modifier and connect it to a physical switch). Alternatively, "Scene Controllers" could also be used to switch the modifier so that switching scenes chooses between the physical amps. If you have a later version of AxeFx2 than mine, FXLoop might have X/Y channel switching capability (I can't recall if it does or not) which would eliminate the need for the modifier if you want to use scenes to switch between the the two amps (just set balance hard left on channel FXLoop "X" and hard right on FXLoop channel "Y")

1723726413798.png

- Input1/2 modes should be set up as "Stereo" in the I/O menu (via Front panel).

- At least on my Ax2-mk1, the loop is not unity gain, so, when doing 4CM, you need to find an output2 level (via the "Main" control highlighted above) which matches what your normal guitar signal would normally be going straight into the physical amp(s). As I recall, it took me quite a bit of A/B comparing back and forth between "straight in level" and "Output2 Level" to get it right. While determining this level (and in ongoing operation) I'd have the physical Axfx2 output2 knob all the way up (keep the physical amp volume low while testing to protect your ears).

- To help reduce noise you can:
- Use Humbuster Cables from Axefx2 Output 2 and physical amp inputs (See manual, TRS end at the Axfx output, Not sure which units exactly the humbuster feature initially became available on (I have a II-Mk1 and not sure if it has humbuster tech embedded or not - maybe someone here knows).​
- Increase "boost/pad" for output2 in the I/O menu but be aware that this lowers digital output2 clipping headroom.​
- There lots of additional info detail on these topics in the manual.

Attachments

• 1723726338331.png
    1723726338331.png
    258 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom