Legacy Modded the fugg outta the Plexi to get that Green Day "Dookie" tone.

biggness

Power User
I always liked the tone off Green Day's "Dookie" album. It isn't a tone that I would make my personal main tone, but it is fun to play around on. Brings back teenage memories.

I researched that tone online, trying to find what he used to record it. I didn't really get any clear cut info, as some people said JCM800s and others said Modded Plexi's. I decided to just go with the Plexi and work from there. I did a few common mods(and not so common) that people would do to real Plexi's to try to bring it in closer. I think I got pretty close. I could get even closer if I knew what cab, speakers and mics he used then. If anyone has some suggestions, I am all ears.

Again, pardon the playing. I totally forgot all their songs that I knew and had to just play in that style instead. lol

Preset - Axe-Change - Download Preset - Dookie Plexi - by biggness

That's really close. As for the cabs/mics -- tone match it! I think there's a few seconds of just guitar at the start of that song, loop that and tone match and I think you'll be right there. Nice work!

That's really close. As for the cabs/mics -- tone match it! I think there's a few seconds of just guitar at the start of that song, loop that and tone match and I think you'll be right there. Nice work!

I haven't ever tried tone matching. I guess now is a good to start. :)

I haven't ever tried tone matching. I guess now is a good to start. :)

Well to me this sounds already very good (as mentioned before). But if you want to give the tone matching a try, well it would be awesome if you'd upload the result too. :encouragement:

Billie Joe uses pre-effects loop Marshall 1959SLP reissues
modded by Martin Golub at LA Sound Design - Bradshaw/CAE used to do their mods on the 90s (I think Martin worked for them then)

It's called the DOOKIE mod

The orig dookie amp is an old modded 70s super lead.

In many respects- the Dookie sound isn't that far off from the brown/evh sound

You may have some luck with a Freidman amp in the axe

I got a 1959SLP and gave it to my amp guy and said 'make this sound like evh and greenday' (still haven't got it back yet- i got to play it a few weeks back when it was half way done and it sounded like kill em all metallica awesome)

in the basketcase video BJ had a jcm900 i think in the background but he either never used it/it was rented or the backup was a 900

Sound great, very close if you ask me!!!!!!
I always liked the tone off Green Day's "Dookie" album. It isn't a tone that I would make my personal main tone, but it is fun to play around on. Brings back teenage memories.

I researched that tone online, trying to find what he used to record it. I didn't really get any clear cut info, as some people said JCM800s and others said Modded Plexi's. I decided to just go with the Plexi and work from there. I did a few common mods(and not so common) that people would do to real Plexi's to try to bring it in closer. I think I got pretty close. I could get even closer if I knew what cab, speakers and mics he used then. If anyone has some suggestions, I am all ears.

Again, pardon the playing. I totally forgot all their songs that I knew and had to just play in that style instead. lol

Preset - Axe-Change - Download Preset - Dookie Plexi - by biggness

Back
Top Bottom