Mission SP1 Vol & Wah on same patch.

alan11

Hi,
I'm trying unsuccessfully to get the Mission SP1 working correctly (well the way I’d like it to) with the Axe II & MFC101.
I’m using TRS cables. Checked the Wiki and previous posts but still abit lost.

The functionality I’d like…
I use the pedal for vol on 90% of my patches. I connect it to XP1 on the MFC. Works perfect
On some patches I’d like to engage the switch, and the pedal will now control Wah, turn off the switch and I’m back to vol. I know some find this is not ideal as you have to be at full volume (pedal down) to engage the switch but it works for me.

I have output 2 from the SP1 connected to a switch XS1 on the MFC (Yeks how-to) …..the video from Mission says that the switch should be connected to an “expression input” …couldn’t get my head around this or get it working.

Expression Pedals for the Fractal Axe-Fx - YouTube ……5:25 in the video

Problem is on the patches I have setup for Wah, I don’t have any volume control over them with the pedal.
My steps to set my Wah up on a patch.
On the MFC:
Edit – MIDI – XS1 set to CC#97 (bypass Wah)
Edit – Preset – change XP1 from CC#11 (vol) to CC#16 (Ext Ctrl 1 which I have linked to Wah)

Is there a way I can control both vol & wah in same patch. Would like to have vol control on the patch until I engage the switch
Any help appreciated.
Alan

I just watched their video and although it's very helpful I'm also confused when they say you must plug the switch on the SP-1 into an expression pedal input rather than a switch input. I've got an SP-1 set up with the switch connected to a switch input and it works fine. Don't understand their comment.

Actually I just tried it they way they say and it works OK but then again it worked OK using a switch input.

Anyone else have any thoughts/advice on this.

Thanks

I dropped an email to Mission and they just replied:

Hi,

"Thanks for the note. The reason that we recommend using the expression pedal inputs on the MFC-101, is that the switch out on the SP-1 uses a stereo (TRS) configuration rather than the typical mono TS switch output. This is because many amps, effects and controllers only have expression pedal inputs and do not have dedicated external switch inputs as well like the MFC does. In these cases, the switch function of the SP-1 can still be used, even if there is no switch input. The switch inputs on the MFC are designed to use TS switches, and so connecting the TRS switch from the SP-1 has been known to cause unexpected behavior in certain circumstances. However, there's no need to worry. It won't damage the MFC or SP1 to connect it in this way, and if it's working well for your purposes, you can continue to use it.
James"

Nice to see suck quick customer support - great guys

You can do that. Place a volume block somewhere in the chain; you'll need to use it instead of global out volume on this preset. Don't set the switch to CC#97--set it as another external like CC#17 for Ext Ctrl 2. Assign Ext Ctrl 1 to both the wah & volume control knobs. Assign Ext Ctrl 2 as a bypass modifier (press enter on Byp Mode control) for both blocks and reverse the slope of one (start 100, end 0). Now the switch will toggle between wah/volume and the pedal will control both.

Ah.... didn't know that the switch on my Mission can connect to an expression pedal input on the MFC...
Good to know.

You can do that. Place a volume block somewhere in the chain; you'll need to use it instead of global out volume on this preset. Don't set the switch to CC#97--set it as another external like CC#17 for Ext Ctrl 2. Assign Ext Ctrl 1 to both the wah & volume control knobs. Assign Ext Ctrl 2 as a bypass modifier (press enter on Byp Mode control) for both blocks and reverse the slope of one (start 100, end 0). Now the switch will toggle between wah/volume and the pedal will control both.

I tried this-- and the switch isnt working. Whichever effect has end==100 for the bypass modifier is the one i hear, the one with the slope reversed is never heard.

I set the bypass modifier to ext 2, and set the control modifier to ext 1 (for both wah and vol blocks). I have the XS1 CC# set to 17 (ext 2). What am i missin'?!?

Thanks in advance fellas.

Is the block visibly changing state in the layout menu, going between dashed & solid outline? Post the preset if possible.

Here's the patch.. im sure im doing something stupid! Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 59 Bassguy.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 11
Hmm i tried that last night (and just now).. still no help,..

So, I connected an old amp channel footswitch and voila-- when using that for XS1, the pedal behavior now switches between wah and vol when i depress the footswitch. So, its a faulty switch on my SP1.

Just mailed Mission and they simply gave one sentence in response : " Both OUT1 and OUT2 need to be connected to Expression Pedal inputs on the MFC. Do not use the MFC switch inputs.".

However I tried that- I set XP2 to CC# 17, and it still doesnt work.

Any ideas?!

i had the same problem, tried everything on wiki and help from the forum and mission, couldnt get it to work, swap my sp-1 to a ep-1

It has to be a defect.

At their recommendation, I plugged the SP1's OUT2 to the expression pedal inputs of the MFC, still doesnt work.

But my own footswitch does work (using the same cables, patch, configuration that did not work with the SP1 switch)... using either the expression or switch inputs.

Waiting on a response from Mission.

i think it could be a idea to get video walk throughs for things like this, 95% of the time its user error, im no good at reading manuals so alot of the time its down to me doing things wrong. Follow a video that you can refare to would be fantastic, step by step videos would be a great help to alot of people.

Twelve and half years later... LOL Bakerman's solution above is what untangled my problem. I recently connected a MFC101MkIII to an AxeIIxl and a Mission EP-11S as a stay at home practice rig when my Gig Rig is out and installed for more than a day.. My fog/confusion was making sure the Axe / I/O / CTRL had OUT1 Volume = none, EXT CTRL 1 = 16, and EXT CTRL 2 = 17. Bueno!! :)

Back
Top Bottom