MIDI Question: FX8 and Morningstar ML5

Lydian

Hi All,

How's it hanging? :) You'll be pleased to know I hung onto the FX8 this time round. Some slight changes however, after a lot of faffing at gigs and rehearsals, I've decided to ditch 4cm and use it in the FX loop for time based stuff modulations etc. I just don't get on with the drives etc.

So I'm sticking some analogue drive pedals in front of my amp (Got a nice Kingsley Jouster coming next week! ). To avoid tap dancing I'm thinking of using a Morningstar ML5 and triggering this via MIDI out of the FX8.

A couple of questions for experienced MIDI-ists among us!

1. Can you set a particular CC message per pedal?
2. Can yo choose which PC message a scene button will send?

I ask as on the ML5 PC messages recall pre-programmed loops and CC messages toggle individual loops. So what i'd like to do is have scenes set up to recall presets on the ML5 then have a row of buttons on the top set to recall individual loops - this gives me ultimate flexibility live to turn things on ad-hoc.

Cheers for your assistance as ever

Andy

You can send one PC and one CC message per scene selection on the FX8, so triggering the ML5 by scene change should be no problem. I have a MIDI enabled preamp that I control by PC messages upon scene changes and the FX8 does this seamlessly.

The MIDI footswitch block can also be used to send PC and CC messages and you can have two per preset with differing values for messages sent when turning the footswitch on / off in both X /Y modes, so that might be the solution to instant access to your ML5 loop combinations.

Pay attention to the MIDI channel configuration (easily configurable on the FX8). If your ML5 and your FX8 aren't communicating on the same MIDI channel then none of the messages will trigger your ML5.

I suggest reading the user manual for more information. I found it to be very helpful when setting up my preamp.

You can send one PC and one CC message per scene selection on the FX8, so triggering the ML5 by scene change should be no problem. I have a MIDI enabled preamp that I control by PC messages upon scene changes and the FX8 does this seamlessly.

The MIDI footswitch block can also be used to send PC and CC messages and you can have two per preset with differing values for messages sent when turning the footswitch on / off in both X /Y modes, so that might be the solution to instant access to your ML5 loop combinations.

Pay attention to the MIDI channel configuration (easily configurable on the FX8). If your ML5 and your FX8 aren't communicating on the same MIDI channel then none of the messages will trigger your ML5.

I suggest reading the user manual for more information. I found it to be very helpful when setting up my preamp.

Cheers for that! Sound promising - I have the manual open on another tab, and will when I can bring myself to it dive into the MIDI chapter! useful to know there a promising starting point.

Andy

Back
Top Bottom