MIDI programming help?

strumbringer

Inspired
Hi,

I've set up one of the buttons on my GC Pro as an External Controller so that I can use it to control a "Solo" mode. The trouble is that I noticed that in this configuration, the Solo switch stays on when I switch patches (in terms of how the Axe reacts), but the LED goes off when I switch - basically the Axe-FX remembers, but the GC Pro doesn't. Any way to either make the Axe-FX forget or the GC Pro remember?

Thanks!
- S

Just asking a question that will hopefully help you solve this for yourself... What mode is the IA switch set to on the GCPro (Normal, Xmit W/Prst, Momentary)? My guess is it's set to normal and it needs to be set to Xmit W/Prst so that when you switch presets it tells the Axe-Fx what state it needs to be in.

I'll also ask a question that may help you get an answer to your query...

What did you assign that External Controller to in the Axe-FX? It sounds like you assigned it as a modifier on one of the global parameters (i.e. output level) rather than to something that is controlled on a per-patch basis.

Just to further expand on that: one of the most commonly used tricks for a solo boost is to add a Filter block (to all your patches), set to "null" and with a certain amount of boost level (3dB, 6 dB, whatever you want), and you save the patch with the filter block bypassed. Then, instead of assigning your floor controller's button to an External modifier, you set it to the global bypass state for the Filter block. The results are that when you hit that button, it un-bypasses the filter block, therefore giving you a 6db boost (or whatever you saved it as, for each patch). Then, if I understand the behavior of your controller, when you switch to a different patch, everything is properly aligned again (the LED is off on your controller, and the filter block is bypassed, i.e. no boost).

I'm not sure if I did a reasonable job explaining this, so feel free to ask away if you need something clearer.

Daniel

Thanks all. Yes, I had set it up to be "Normal" rather than "Xmit with Preset." Doh! :p

Daniel: Yes, I'm using a filter block (but a peaking filter rather than a null one - and also a tweak to the drive settings), but I didn't set it up as a global bypass. I was afraid I'd eventually want to add multiple filters in some cases and didn't want to accidentally have the wrong one get bypassed ... so I was assigning the IA to the bypass parameter in the filter control. Given that I haven't used more than one filter yet and since I can probably use a PEQ for most tone shaping, I may just do that.

Back
Top Bottom