Midi Guitar 2 with FM3?

bondsong

Experienced
Is anyone using MIDI Guitar 2 with the FM3? I’m interested to know if anyone has it working utilizing the USB interface. I was able to do this before with my AxeFX2+ which i no longer own. If you are, I’d like to hear your setup and experiences with it.

I jammed arround with MIDI Guitar 2 on an iPhone 6s, which i don't use anymore. I connected it with the apple camera connection kit with the FM3. It works well, sadly the FM3 dont send MIDI over USB, so you have to switch presets in MIDI Guitar manualy.
With the possibility to use AU Instrument plugins (e.c. Galileo 2 Organ, Synthmaster One, Model D...) it is realy great. Buffersize is fixed to 256, so a little bit Latency is here if you use sounds with fast attack times, but its fun to play synths polyphonic with a guitar.

I jammed arround with MIDI Guitar 2 on an iPhone 6s, which i don't use anymore. I connected it with the apple camera connection kit with the FM3. It works well, sadly the FM3 dont send MIDI over USB, so you have to switch presets in MIDI Guitar manualy.
With the possibility to use AU Instrument plugins (e.c. Galileo 2 Organ, Synthmaster One, Model D...) it is realy great. Buffersize is fixed to 256, so a little bit Latency is here if you use sounds with fast attack times, but its fun to play synths polyphonic with a guitar.
Thanks Petrocelli. We’re you routing the audio from MG2 in the phone back to the FM3 via the USB interface?

I use MIDI Guitar 2. The Out2 of the FM3 (used as a Send) is connected to a Steinberg UR22mk2, Output of UR22 goes in In2 of FM3. UR22 is connected with a camera connection kit to an iPad 2019 with MIDI Guitar 2 and IK Hammond B3-X. Unfortunately there is no MIDI over USB on the FM3, so I have to connect FM3 MIDI Out to UR22 MIDI In. This way I can switch MIDI Guitar presets on scene changes. An expression pedal on the FM3 is used as a modifier for In2 AND Amp level (configured with an inverted curve to In2). This way I can blend Amp sound and Hammond sound:).
I use it most for thickening power chords with underlying hammond sounds. I do not play fast solo lines with it. For this purpose it is perfect👍.
I have to say that I used this with the AX8 and the FX loop block. My rig for FM3 is not finished, it will take several weeks. So, what I told before using the In2 and modifiers is only based on a quick test;).

Thanks Petrocelli. We’re you routing the audio from MG2 in the phone back to the FM3 via the USB interface?

I dont use an interface, only camera connection kit connected to the FM3

Audio Setup in MG2:
  • Input Channel FM3 3
  • Output Channel FM3 1/FM3 2 (So the MG2 Signal gets mixed in FM3 Out 1)

USB Setup in the FM3:
- USB 3/4 Record Source: Input 1 (so the MG2 gets the unprocessed Guitar Signal from the FM3)

I have a iRig BlueBoard Midi Bluetooth Footswitch, which i try to setup with MG2 when i have time!

Sorry for a little off-topic but I was just thinking how awesome it would be if FM3 could do guitar-to-midi like MG2 does. It would open up so many new possibilities. Maybe some day...

I use MIDI Guitar 2. The Out2 of the FM3 (used as a Send) is connected to a Steinberg UR22mk2, Output of UR22 goes in In2 of FM3. UR22 is connected with a camera connection kit to an iPad 2019 with MIDI Guitar 2 and IK Hammond B3-X. Unfortunately there is no MIDI over USB on the FM3, so I have to connect FM3 MIDI Out to UR22 MIDI In. This way I can switch MIDI Guitar presets on scene changes. An expression pedal on the FM3 is used as a modifier for In2 AND Amp level (configured with an inverted curve to In2). This way I can blend Amp sound and Hammond sound:).
I use it most for thickening power chords with underlying hammond sounds. I do not play fast solo lines with it. For this purpose it is perfect👍.
I have to say that I used this with the AX8 and the FX loop block. My rig for FM3 is not finished, it will take several weeks. So, what I told before using the In2 and modifiers is only based on a quick test;).
Thanks for the reply stefankasprik.

I wonder if the effects loop block would work through the built-in USB interface of the FM3. I'm looking for an easy way to route the guitar to the MBP to trigger the MG2. I used to do this sort of thing with my AXFX XL+and it worked but the MIDI-over-USB didn't work properly so there was no easy way to control the MG2 sounds. It never got sorted out.

Right now I have an AX8 which I use for gigs. I use backing tracks sometimes from my MBP. I have a mixer I use, which is 3 stereo channels plus a USB channel from my MBP. I use the first stereo channel for my vocal Harmonizer and the second for my AX8. The tracks come to the USB channel.

I dont use an interface, only camera connection kit connected to the FM3

Audio Setup in MG2:
  • Input Channel FM3 3
  • Output Channel FM3 1/FM3 2 (So the MG2 Signal gets mixed in FM3 Out 1)

USB Setup in the FM3:
- USB 3/4 Record Source: Input 1 (so the MG2 gets the unprocessed Guitar Signal from the FM3)

I have a iRig BlueBoard Midi Bluetooth Footswitch, which i try to setup with MG2 when i have time!
Thanks Petrocelli for your detailed explanation.

That sounds like what I was thinking about. The FM3 USB interface sounds like it's working for you. Any glitches?

I'm thinking about getting an Xsonic Airstep to handle the presets, mix/blend etc between MG2 and the FM3. It's not cheap, but it's got a lot of other things I could use it for.

Just found this thread. I actually have an FM9. I used to use MG2 on my iPhone as part of my "mobile guitar rig" while we were traveling in our RV. It was a lot of fun to play with. Occurred to me I might be able to put my phone in an effects loop on the FM9 using the additional In and Out ports. Tried it yesterday, got it working and it was a blast. So now I"m trying to think of how I can make this practical. What I'd like to be able to do is program some MG2 patches and select between them using an Airturn footswitch I've got. Anyone done anything like that?

Back
Top Bottom