Mesa IIC+ with Axe-Fx II

Is anyone using an Axe-Fx II in the loop of a Mesa Mark IIC+?
I have a IIC+, III and IV that I am thinking of using an Axe-fx II for time based effects in the loops. (I would also use the Axe-Fx II for nighttime playing/practicing with headphones as well.) Anyone do this? Any tips. I was thinking if picking up one of the Suhr FX thingies to make the loop a parallel loop.

Thanks,
Scott

You might find this interesting I am quoting from a different thread a few months back.

My advice: try it all ways! Chances are pretty good you will switch setups a few times.

I had first got an Axe FX Standard, the idea at the time was use it to practice with (in my house) and have the ability to lay down tracks 2:00 AM if I wanted. And for live applications use it in the loop of my Mesa Mark IV. That was the idea, but this is what happened over the past 5 years.
I did use it to track at 2:00 AM and to practice within the house. However it was the live rig that kept evolving.
Rig 1
The Axe Fx was in the loop of the Mark IV and only used for effects, I had a pedal tray and a switch/router in front of the Mark IV, so everything was under midi control.
Rig 2
The pedal tray and switching system was removed, instead I was now using the Axe Fx 4 cable method. This worked great not only less gear but way more versatile, since I was not longer limited to the setting of a pedal. (sounded good too!)

Rig 3
Wired up the same as Rig 2, the difference? I started to use a combination of the Mark IV’s preamp channels and also some on the Axe Fx amp models with the power amp sim’s set to off.

Note: At this point there was a desire on my part to start using the power amp sim’s on the live rig, since it was working so well when recording direct. The problem the Mark IV power amp is hardly a flat response amp and add’s allot of color, so stacking a modeled power amp sim on top of that would not be favorable in most cases. Also found myself using the Mark IV’s preamp channels less and less. It’s not that one sounded better than the other, but could just maintain more control doing everything through the Axe Fx. So in the end I was just using the Mark IV as a power amp.
Next evolution/Rig 4
Mark IV was removed! And replaced by an Atomic MB-50, which is a tube power amp, mono but flat response. This way could start using power amp sim’s. At this point really liking the setup allot, vestal easy setup. (but nothing last ha ha)
Rig 5
Carvin DCM200L power amp replaced the MB-50, lighter was rack mountable, a bit more transparent, also it gave me the ability to go stereo if desired.
Rig 6
Replaced my Mesa 2x12 Recto cab with 2 Atomic Reactor passive cabs (FRFR) this opened up a different world since I could now start using the speaker sims from the Axe Fx.
Changing of the guard/Rig 7 (The Standard retires)
The Axe Fx II. Need I say more? Have had the unit since the fourth week it came out, firmware ver. 1.xx and it was amazing then!! Now we are currently at 14.xx and the difference is night and day. The different firmware versions are always step forward, added features, improved amp modeling, and sometimes both. Either way it is like getting a new unit every time.
Rig 8
Replaced the Carvin DCM200L with the Matrix GT800. Why?
When running the DCM200 with the Mesa cab it was wired “bridged mono” however when going to the 2 Atomic cabs (in stereo or dual mono)I found it to be slightly under powered.
Rig 9
Is what you currently see in my signature. What prompted me to change the speakers was simple; I was never all that crazy about the Atomics and after going to the NY Amp Show and going to the Fractal room, the JBL’s were clearly the best solution in that room at the time. And have been pretty happy with them, however would not mind checking out some Atomic CLR’s in the future. (Yes, it never ends)

John

Back
Top Bottom