Matrix.. and to think that I hesitated!

eljodon

Experienced
I've been contemplating on buying a Matrix power amp for some time. I've used the Art SLA and since it was to heavy, I switched to a Crown XLS1000 and I wasn't satisfied with the sound and head room with any of them.
I bought a Mesa Boogie 2 90 out of curiosity and totally loved it! But I was 15 lbs heavier than the Art SLA and 27 lbs heavier than the Crown XLS1000
So I thought that I was stuck with the Mesa because I just couldn't stand the other amps!
I have 2 herniated disc on my neck which I've been dealing with for quite some time.
3 weeks ago I played a gig with my band and the next morning I woke up with my left hand numb, something that has happened before which took me 2 month to regain my strength and for the numbness to go away
That morning I decided to take the plunge and try the Matrix.
I tried the GT1000fx and the GT1600fx so I decided to go for the GT1000fx because I felt it was a bit brighter. But it still I wasn't getting the brightness like the Mesa.
I bought it anyway since I was desperate to get something lighter.
I've been using my Mesa with a 2 x 12 cab with 2 Scumback BM75 and a Marshall 4 x 12 with Scumback H75 or another with the M75.
I couldn't test the GT1000 Fx with my 2 x 12 and the Marshall together because the Matrix only has 2 speaker outputs and I'm use to using both cabinets in stereo which requires 4 speaker cables.
So I used 2 Marshall cabs because my 2 x 12 cab is only wired in stereo.
The next morning I decided to make 2 Y cables with a Soeakon on one end and 2 female 1/4 " at the other end. So I plugged my 2 x 12 and my Marshall 4 x 12 to the Matrix amp and it sounded 98% like my Mesa.
My 2 x 12 was giving me the brightness that I was missing so I didn't test the Matrix correctly the night before.
Since I'm using the Matrix GT1000fx amp at 4 ohms, it's putting out 500,wpc , more than enough to match the Mesa's power.
So now I'm a proud owner of a Matrix amp and I don't have to tweak my Axe Fx 2 to get the same sound I was getting with my Mesa. I also shaved off 27 lbs from my rack and my neck it's going to be very happy! Now how's that for a happy ending?

Back
Top Bottom