Mastering engineer says phase issues

1poorplayer

Power User
I recently sent some songs to a mastering engineer at a studio in NY to see if he thought they were suitable for mastering. He said they sounded great in stereo , but in mono my rhythm guitars disappeared and he suspected phase issues. I checked , and found none. The mix is LRC. Most everything in the mix is centered EXCEPT the rhythm guitars - which are L and R. If I pan them to C and switch to mono - they are more audible.
Any thoughts anyone ?

I would ask him at which frequencies specifically they disappeared .
And then scope the outputs to see where it is canceling.

he may have a point.

I recently sent some songs to a mastering engineer at a studio in NY to see if he thought they were suitable for mastering. He said they sounded great in stereo , but in mono my rhythm guitars disappeared and he suspected phase issues. I checked , and found none. The mix is LRC. Most everything in the mix is centered EXCEPT the rhythm guitars - which are L and R. If I pan them to C and switch to mono - they are more audible.
Any thoughts anyone ?

Like notalemming says, don't change the track panning...that might be why it sounds different to you when you do your mono check. Another thing to keep in mind is that these days it’s pretty rare for anyone to listen to music in mono. It's been years since I've bothered to mono check a mix.

Like notalemming says, don't change the track panning...that might be why it sounds different to you when you do your mono check. Another thing to keep in mind is that these days it’s pretty rare for anyone to listen to music in mono. It's been years since I've bothered to mono check a mix.
I see more and more people listening in mono. Many use Bluetooth speakers with their phone when listening to music, and those are often mono. Of course the sound quality on those is often questionable anyway, but I still think having tracks sound ok in mono is a good idea.

Reactions: KFF
I'm sure there are some mono bluetooth speakers out there, but if you check out the most popular portable bluetooth speakers, they're almost all stereo, even ultra portable ones like JBL and Anker.

The issue is: should 1poorplayer redo his song to be mono-friendly? I'm just suggesting he consider how often it will be heard in mono before answering that.

Back
Top Bottom