Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy 1000+ LIVEGOLD TonePack - Partial Update (Bank 1 Marshalls) for Cygnus X3 firmware update now available

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
I was debating whether to switch to the NEO CLR from my Matrix CFR, but I don't think it'd be worth it. The wider dispersion is nice, but I spend 95% of my stage time standing with it pointed directly at me so I don't think I'd get much benefit there. As far as the EQ curves on each, can you speak to whether the CFR would need any kind of tweaks anywhere to match what it would sound like in the CLRs?

Hey -- I can't. I'd have to listen to both in front of me to know and advise.

But if you are happy with what you have -- that is all that really matters! Don't be chasing stuff if you like what you have!

Maybe find someone with a CLR or other FRFRs near you and do a shoot out and hear fro yourself -- while social distancing and wearing a mask of course! :D

Feck it! I dont have the FM3 but bought the pack anyway :D Im sure updates will drop soon

No worries, and thanks for "taking the tone plunge."

Sure, go ahead and use Axe-Fx III preset manager to import the FM3 ones into your Axe-Fx III and play with them. They won't sound exactly right but I'm sure most will still sound very good and useable.

To make them sound more "present" and like the amp in a room, make the Global EQ change I put above in this thread (screen shot of settings) when you use them, they will jump out your speakers a little better on an Axe-Fx III that way, like they do now on the FM3. If the gain seems a little lacking on a Scene 2 or 3 in the Axe-Fx III ... well, that's what the CS2 boost is for! :cool:

Last edited:
Hey -- I can't. I'd have to listen to both in front of me to know and advise.

But if you are happy with what you have -- that is all that really matters! Don't be chasing stuff if you like what you have!

Maybe find someone with a CLR or other FRFRs near you and do a shoot out and hear fro yourself -- while social distancing and wearing a mask of course! :D
I'm sure they're both pretty comparable. I found an EQ sheet for the CLR, but not the CFR. I was just curious since they're 2 of the most recommended FRFRs

I'm sure they're both pretty comparable. I found an EQ sheet for the CLR, but not the CFR. I was just curious since they're 2 of the most recommended FRFRs

Just my advice: don't do this based solely on a spec sheet. Listen to them side by side. You may well be right and no difference - which would be awesome!

The wide dispersion thing was key for me.... (I don't want to move five feet left or right during a gig and can't hear any treble or mids "where did I go?" and thus have to stay planted/rivited in one spot all night...but that's just me!).

Also the weight is amazingly lite. I can literally carry walk five blocks from parking near 6th street carrying the 33 lb CLR in one hand (in a Studio Slips case) , two guitars on my back, and my AX8 (now FM3) in a Studio Slips case w/guitar and power cords, XLR, and exp. pedals in side pocket in the other hand -- one trip in and out.... of course, no one is playing out here in Austin now...the bars/clubs are all closed.

To me, I guess the REAL test is: if I had to use the FRFRs the rest of my life as studio monitors listening to all the albums I love, would they work fantastically doing that? Perfect sound? (FRFR!)

If the answer is YES -- then you are all set/golden!

No worries, and thanks for "taking the tone plunge."

Sure, go ahead and use Axe-Fx III preset manager to import the FM3 ones into your Axe-Fx III and play with them. They won't sound exactly right but I'm sure most will still sound very good and useable.

To make them sound more "present" and like the amp in a room, make the Global EQ change I put above in this thread (screen shot of settings) when you use them, they will jump out your speakers a little better on an Axe-Fx III that way, like they do now on the FM3. If the gain seems a little lacking on a Scene 2 or 3 in the Axe-Fx III ... well, that's what the CS2 boost is for! :cool:

Yeah, and got somewhat extra intrigued by "FM3 presets could sound less compressed". And noticed that the AXE-FX III "naked presets" got an FW12 upgrade, so re-downloaded that one too. Pandemic can go on for years as far as I am concerned, I am all set for cocooning long long time. :D

Purchased! (I'm on Axe-Fx III but I'm sure I'll have enough to play with even if only FM3 version for now!)

Cheers,
Joce

I apologize up front if I missed this, but a bit new to fractal editing. If I wanted to combine different amp combinations in the same preset, I can use the channel function to do this. Can you copy an amp channel setting from one preset into the amp block of another, or must you always copy the entire amp block? just trying to avoid having to manually tweak all amp settings as I've grown lazy. Thanks

I'm still digging though all this, but I definitely have two new live tones for my set.

My band plays Van Halen's version of Oh! Pretty Woman, and I've never really loved anyone else's Brown Sound, and your preset is my new go-to for that song. "BrownSound Plexi FM3" Scene 3 allows the arpeggios to ring clearly and all the palm muting sounds amazing at the same time. Way to nail it, man.

I've been searching for years and trying to build my own preset for I Melt With You and never found anything great. I play the keyboard and guitar parts on guitar, and while I never really tried to sound like keyboard, I was looking for something different. I was also trying to work with a Roland Jazz Chorus model because that's what is on the original recording. Well.... enter "Roland JC120* FM3". Scene 4 for the keyboard parts and scene 2 for the guitar parts. My band is going to shit when they hear this. Thanks again dude.

Last edited:
I apologize up front if I missed this, but a bit new to fractal editing. If I wanted to combine different amp combinations in the same preset, I can use the channel function to do this. Can you copy an amp channel setting from one preset into the amp block of another, or must you always copy the entire amp block? just trying to avoid having to manually tweak all amp settings as I've grown lazy. Thanks

FM3 Edit permits you to "Copy Current Channel to Clipboard" for any block and then "Paste Clipboard to Current Channel" in another preset. You just have to make sure to do this for all block channels (amp, cab, filters, etc) that make up the sound you want to transfer.

Austinbuddy(and fellow Austinite), I'm loving the Gold pack so far. Just curious about one thing.

I have enjoyed going through the Naked Amp pack for the III to see your cab choices/mixes and have previously tried to move them over to the FM3 as much as I could because they sounded like the right choices and kept me out of a serious rabbit hole. Of course this was difficult or impossible in certain cabs just because the mix was of 3 or 4 IR's which can't be done in the FM3 without a whole lot of extra work that sometimes did not translate as well.

Just curious if your move in the new pack to mostly single IR's is a result of feeling now that that philosophy is better than mixing a bunch of IR's, or if it's just because of the limitation of only being able to use 2 in the FM3.

FM3 Edit permits you to "Copy Current Channel to Clipboard" for any block and then "Paste Clipboard to Current Channel" in another preset. You just have to make sure to do this for all block channels (amp, cab, filters, etc) that make up the sound you want to transfer.
I will do a short video soon showing FM3 folks how to do this.

Austinbuddy(and fellow Austinite), I'm loving the Gold pack so far. Just curious about one thing.

I have enjoyed going through the Naked Amp pack for the III to see your cab choices/mixes and have previously tried to move them over to the FM3 as much as I could because they sounded like the right choices and kept me out of a serious rabbit hole. Of course this was difficult or impossible in certain cabs just because the mix was of 3 or 4 IR's which can't be done in the FM3 without a whole lot of extra work that sometimes did not translate as well.

Just curious if your move in the new pack to mostly single IR's is a result of feeling now that that philosophy is better than mixing a bunch of IR's, or if it's just because of the limitation of only being able to use 2 in the FM3.
Great question. First, the III uses Ultra-Res. I am not positive but I think the FM3 does not for CPU reasons. Second, with the new speaker impedance curve options, i wanted to try out lots of IRs and speaker curves ao I don’t always follow what the III Naked Amps did here. As I say in the video, in the FM3 I do feel like using just one IR sounds and feels better to me. The Cab block is not trying to mix together two IRs (or as another way to think about it, two 1000 discrete point EQ curves). It just snaps/feels better, but if you see two IRs in a scene it is because I could not get the “amp in a room” tonal balance I wanted with a single IR. That answer your question?

Yep, it does. I had forgotten about the Ultra-Res difference. I'm still trying to compare the two when I can as I incorporate the Gold Pack into my rig. Found a couple already where I think I like the cab mixes in the Naked better, but that's without trying them out in a band mix. One day this crap will be over and the band will be able to practice again!

Last edited:
order 7687...

thanks a lot. Will try not to dive into the rabbit hole now.

Any recommended ones so I can focus?

How can I audition the presets? do I have to re-write all the factory ones?

Last edited:
order 7687...

thanks a lot. Will try not to dive into the rabbit hole now.

Any recommended ones so I can focus?

I sent this off to a friend who may do an FM3 demo, and realized for some of you overwhelmed this short guide to amps used by players you know may be useful to you too...so here is some stuff to look for in Bank 1 of the new Live Gold TonePack -- will post this over there too...

Van Halen stuff — Brit Brown, Atomica, Brown Eye, Lead x99 Soldano…(more to come in bank 3 later)

Brian May - Vox “Hot BMay"

Jimmy Page - early is Supro, later is 1959 SLP/Jump SLP - it snarls. Also, for a gorgeous Zep & humbucker clean like the Rain Song, try the Hook 1B (EQ Bypass ON) scene 1 - Plexi Glory

ZZ Top: Silver Jubilee, but also the OD1- Bass JMP-1

AC/DC - OD2 Bass JMP-1, Malcom and Angus scenes ….Judas Priest in there too…. Plus the JTM45 Plexi Scene 2 has the Ac/Dc Clang…

The Vintage Bogner Ecstasy is dialed in just like my old real one. I love this amp...

The Bogner Strato Fish is similar to Audrey Freed’s tone on his Cry of Love albums with a Strat…some effects there.

Bogner Fish has a Dire Straits-like Neck Les Paul pickup “Play the Guitar on MTV” sound/scene…

We'll do some bank 2 later....

-AustinBuddy

Hi @Rublalup , I cover this in many You Tube videos. It's easier to show than to type it all out.

Those of you new to the FM3 should watch the first three "Naked Amps" AxeFx III videos. You need to get and understand FractalBot.

FractalBot backs up all your banks to your computer via USB. You never lose anything, you can always re-load it back into your FM3 -- IF you back up!!! I back up all the time.

First - BACK UP EVERYTHING before you load anything like Live Gold.

What I'd suggest to start with is having a BLANK BANK in your FM3 bank A. That becomes your workspace, where you keep your favorite presets or use for gigs.

If it were me...

I'd load the included "Blank Bank" on Bank A

I'd load the Live Gold Bank1 into your FM3 Bank B

I'd load the Live Gold Bank 2 into your FM3 Bank C

Then I'd load Fractal Bank A into Bank D...you can rotate banks in and out of this area.

Then, as you find presets you love, use FM3-Edit's Preset Manager (under TOOLS) to copy and paste them into your working Bank A, in whatever order you like. Do your own surgery on them there, make your own "Dream Rigs.”

In about an hour I'll post a video here and on YouTube that shows how to copy amps/cabs from one preset/scene in Live Gold to a preset you make -- so you can mix up to four different amp sounds you like in one preset.

Last edited:
I will do a short video soon showing FM3 folks how to do this.

Here's the video I promised - down and dirty - on how to take a preset scene's amp an cab and copy them into your own preset to make a "Dream Rig" using the Live Gold TonePack tones. You use FM3-Edit and Preset Manager to do this, and something called the clipboard that lets you cut and paste from amp block to amp block - not only within presets but across them as well.

Hope this is helpful. It's in my YouTube channel FM3 tutorial video list as well.

Hey Buddy, which one works well with for the Hotel California Solo??? Just bought the pack....

Last edited:
Just a philosophical question: With so many Axe Fx3 units out there, and with the FM3 being new and still hard to find, I was wondering why you did the FM3 version of this pack first? Wouldn't it have made more sense to aim at the much bigger market of AxeFx3 owners, and get the revenue rolling in, then adapt the packs for the FM3 version? By which time there would be more FM3 units out there?

I have an Fx3, along with the Naked Amps set, but I think I'll wait until later in the year when the Fx3 version of Live Gold comes out.

But that's just me... I love my Naked Amps, along with various sounds from Burgs and a couple of others. More than enough to keep me occupied and recording for now :)

Any preset is ready for recording? Would love to have a clean, crunch and lead already tweaked and ready to record

This presets really sound great. I am comparing the jcm800 preset that was my favorite with any of the pack and now it seems lacking clarity, too much gain and boomy. Really great work!!!

Back
Top Bottom