Marshall 8008 Thoughts?

twentytwenty

Inspired
Hi Fractalites,

I might have the option of getting a super cheap Marshall 8008, as I am selling the Mesa 20/20 now as I dont want the unreliability of valves in my rig now, They have a Linear mode which has tempted me, so my question is are they any good for powering an Axe? I think 80 Watts a side will be enough for me.

I might go the Art SLA-1/2 route too so what might the difference be apart from the fact the Art is designed for studio use?

Thanks as always.

I was using one for a while, and wasn't happy with my sound. I don't know what's to blame, though, and I had no other power amp to compare it with. I was using it to power a custom made 2x12 ported closed-back cab with Eminence drivers. I since sold the cab (and it sounded better when driven by the buyer's tube head), so perhaps the Marshall 8008 had something to do with it? Incidentally, the linear mode made very little difference.

I since went with FRFR and never looked back.

Of course, your mileage may vary. And a lot depends on the cab too.

I hope others chime in as well, because my testimony is rather weak - no strong opinion either way (mostly because I'm not sure).

Daniel

At 80W per side of SS power, I might concerned about not having enough clean headroom for gigging with a loud band without running into SS clipping territory.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention that. Like xrist04 says, power is not great. In my home sturio, I thought it was darn loud... but in rehearsal I had to crank it up to 3:00-4:00 o'clock. Anywhere past noon, it made little or no difference. I did play a gig once with it, but I was feeding direct into the console for FOH, and my 8008 was just for stage monitoring.

Thanks for the replies guys, Interesting.

It sounds like in linear mode it could colour the sound a fair bit, Anyone else use one?

I found it not a very good amp with the AXE when compared with the SLA-2 it tries to be Marshall like and is not of the same power and or quality....I didn't like.....This was with the AXE in front of both and into the same cab....I like the SLA-2 alot with the AXE......Hope this helps

ROBO said:
I found it not a very good amp with the AXE when compared with the SLA-2 it tries to be Marshall like and is not of the same power and or quality....I didn't like.....This was with the AXE in front of both and into the same cab....I like the SLA-2 alot with the AXE......Hope this helps

Well I certainly dont want my Mesa and AC30 tones coating in "British Snarl".

I think I will go the SLA-2 route.

Thanks for the input guys.

Avoid. The Marshall Valvestate rack power amps have no output protection...google around for some horror stories of welded voice coils, etc.

Back
Top Bottom