Mark IV need's a PCB (suggestions ?)

6L6C

Power User
The back story. Have a Mesa Mark IV and the PCB is bad, through the years the board has become conductive. About 6 years ago or so the amp was diagnosed with this problem. The company that did the work contacted Mesa to see how much a replacement would be, well none in stock or made anymore. However, what they did was scrub the board and the amp worked fine, but was told it would most likely last a few years a tops. Got three out of it!

I have kept my eyes open for a doner board but safe to say it’s not going to happen. I have also come across a few others that have had the same problem with their Mark IV’s. Same with them, looking for doner boards.

Bottom line the amp has been sitting two years in storage and I want to get rid of it. I can sell tubes, head shell, footswitch. Maybe even the knobs off the pots. I could scrub the board again, but I won’t sell it to anyone or even GC. I don’t want anyone to get this thing and have the same thing happen to them.

With the Axe Fx III I really have no interest in it anymore, so I gave up on a doner board. (plus, the expensive and time)

Any other suggestions ??

John

Sounds like you’re doing the right thing by parting it out.
You could put it up on Reverb with a good description of the amps problem. There might be an amp builder or repair guy who will buy it for the parts.

If the board isnt salvageable, junk it and sell the rest for parts. As long as its intact someone can scam someone else. Im sure parting it out will work - could even see if the axe fits in the head shell haha.

That PCB is useful for tracing out what the actual circuit is, given Mesa's reputation for issues with schematic inaccuracies. I have an original MK-IVa that's issue-free, but I'll be damned if I'm pulling that thing apart for servicing or tracing out the board. Yours is useful for donor parts, transformers, opto-isolators, whatever. I'd offer it to a reputable tech.

Sounds like you’re doing the right thing by parting it out.
You could put it up on Reverb with a good description of the amps problem. There might be an amp builder or repair guy who will buy it for the parts.
Funny thing in the past I have put it online as parts. But I got request for certain things and the interested parties wanted me to gut it. Nope just looking to dump it, not sharpen my soldering skills and have the thing all over a bench and fulfilling request from different parties.

As long as its intact someone can scam someone else.
When I tried to dump it a few years ago (as parts) this is something that went over my head at first. But it's part of the reason I never re-listed it. Then of course I just threw it in storage and forgot about it. Till the other day. :p

That PCB is useful for tracing out what the actual circuit is, given Mesa's reputation for issues with schematic inaccuracies. I have an original MK-IVa that's issue-free, but I'll be damned if I'm pulling that thing apart for servicing or tracing out the board. Yours is useful for donor parts, transformers, opto-isolators, whatever. I'd offer it to a reputable tech.
I never thought of my local guy before, and he does a ton of work not just guitar amps. I don't think he will want it, but I can ask (he might).
Can even split it up he can take the electronics, and I can take the head shell. I can get a decent dollar for the head shell with reverb tank, fan and cover.

Back
Top Bottom