Marco Sfogli tone

superman

Hi guys. I wanted to copy the tone of my favorie player marco sfogli, but didnt find a video without drums, rythm guitar etc.
But finally I found this: Betcha Can't Play This with Marco Sfogli - YouTube

So Im going for an attempt to match this one.
Im uncertain of which amps he is using, might be mesa boogie.

So if anyone else likes marco sfogli try to match it and see what you come up with ;) I will post my match here soon.

Marco Sfogli posted his Lead patch for the Ultra a couple of years ago.
With the right guitar it sounded just like his videos! Amazing patch, but it was ruined by firmware 9.00.
It`s the only thing I miss about my Ultra:)

Marco posted a preset way back when, where he matched (by ear) his rig with the Ultra. The preset was called Andromeda and I believe he used the current equivalent of FAS Lead 2. It was one of my go-to lead presets when I had the Standard. I think any of the FAS Lead or Modern models would be a good place to start. Or the USA Lead models.

edit: ha! Powers of 10 beat me to it :ugeek

I've seen that video before and if I'm remembering right, he's using some form of a POD. :(

EDIT -I did a search to try to find where I read it was a POD. What I was remembering was a comment from the John Petrucci forum where someone said that it sounded like a "direct recorded modeller tone". I tend to agree. It has that kind of generic, direct Line6 quality to it that makes me think of a POD.

You might try Tone Matching the intro to Marco's song "There's Hope" (off the album of the same name), which is most definitely played through a Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp/2:90 power amp setup. It's a rhythm tone, but may very well transfer to a great lead tone as well:

Here's the song (obviously better to use the CD or a wave file for the actual Tone Matching):

Last edited:

I have this CD, the USA Lead 1 will get close to this right out of the box
I love this guys phrasing :D

guys, when tone matching, I dont need to play exactly the same thing as the matched tone does? but yeah something similar

superman said:
guys, when tone matching, I dont need to play exactly the same thing as the matched tone does? but yeah something similar

It helps if you can, but something similar will get you damn close.

Tried the Never forgive me intro, which is 3 harmonic, and it still got so close! I got the same tone as Marco for this song, now i got to learn the song :p

Back
Top Bottom