Made My First Tone Match Today!

CipherHost

Experienced
Well, after about 3 years with an AxeFXIII, I finally (correctly) made my own ToneMatch.
I used the intro to Gimme Three Steps and a Vineham Sweet V59 bridge PU into the JS410 Crunch Red.
Pretty amazing what this little black box can do!
Thank you @Cooper Carter for "The Complete Axe-Fx III Master Class with Cooper Carter". You made it simple.

@Cooper Carter
The recording of the ToneMatch compared to the reference clip sounds closer in the room, but it sounds like it has a blanket over it in the recording. The reference clip has clarity my recording does not. It also has a je ne sais quoi I also can't describe in words. Maybe a far-field kind of IR effect? A touch of comb filtering? I know from your Master Class there are several things that ToneMatch does not do.

So I realized that when I did the ToneMatch, I had the reverb block enabled. Probably not a good idea. I'm going to go back to the drawing board and move a few amp knobs around (or maybe a different amp), do the match with just the amp, and see if I can improve the ToneMatch.

Last edited:
@ruso
Thanks ruso,
I fell like the tone is in the same country, but several miles away still. I hear a big difference from the reference. I'm thinking the III is a lot more capable of acheiving a tone than I am of setting up correctly. The changes in the cab block didn't have the effect I thought. I really need to choose/use an amp and settings much closer to start with before adding anything. It's definitely a learning experience of critical listening. I've been playing through my F12-X200s. I'm going to hook up the CLRs instead. I don't think the cabs/speakers make any difference to the tone block, but it might help me dial things in better to start with. I just don't have the skills many forum members here have. Practice won't hurt though.

@Cooper Carter
The recording of the ToneMatch compared to the reference clip sounds closer in the room, but it sounds like it has a blanket over it in the recording. The reference clip has clarity my recording does not. It also has a je ne sais quoi I also can't describe in words. Maybe a far-field kind of IR effect? A touch of comb filtering? I know from your Master Class there are several things that ToneMatch does not do.

So I realized that when I did the ToneMatch, I had the reverb block enabled. Probably not a good idea. I'm going to go back to the drawing board and move a few amp knobs around (or maybe a different amp), do the match with just the amp, and see if I can improve the ToneMatch.

Man that tone sounds spot on...it may just be lacking some sort of reverb...like small room maybe? Idk...but the tone is definitely there. Good job 👍

Back
Top Bottom