Lowering CPU Austin Buddy?

Jamme1961

Inspired
I’m right at 82% using Austin’s gold live - can I lower cpu getting rid of the extra outputs ( running mono into Frfr) and getting rid of effects blocks ? Thanks

Removing Out blocks will make little difference in CPU %, but will definitely break some of the functionality of the preset. Replacing blocks you don’t need with shunts can reduce the CPU %.

If you don’t know about the Snapshot tool, the camera icon in Edit, this is a good time to become familiar with it. Click it before making any changes to establish a starting point for the basic preset. As you edit click it again when you make a change you want to remember. If you don’t like a change you made click on the triangle below the Snapshot button and select the version of the preset you want to return to. You can move forward and backward through time to compare the changes. When you like how the preset is, Save it.

If you don’t mind losing the symmetry of the layout in the preset you can try removing shunts. Each shunt uses about 0.25 CPU %, so removing four gives you back 1%. You can quickly get back some CPU by reducing the quality or the Reverb or Cab blocks without making a lot of difference in the sound quality. It’s hard to hear the difference when playing in an ensemble setting.

See CPU usage in the Wiki for more information.

@austinbuddy works hard to keep presets running within the limits of the machine they’re designed for, so I’m sure he’d want to know if you are running into problems with a particular preset.

Last edited:
Removing Out blocks will make little difference in CPU %, but will definitely break some of the functionality of the preset. Replacing blocks you don’t need with shunts can reduce the CPU %.

If you don’t know about the Snapshot tool, the camera icon in Edit, this is a good time to become familiar with it. Click it before making any changes to establish a starting point for the basic preset. As you edit click it again when you make a change you want to remember. If you don’t like a change you made click on the triangle below the Snapshot button and select the version of the preset you want to return to. You can move forward and backward through time to compare the changes. When you like how the preset is, Save it.

If you don’t mind losing the symmetry of the layout in the preset you can try removing shunts. Each shunt uses about 0.25 CPU %, so removing four gives you back 1%. You can quickly get back some CPU by reducing the quality or the Reverb or Cab blocks without making a lot of difference in the sound quality. It’s hard to hear the difference when playing in an ensemble setting.

See CPU usage in the Wiki for more information.

@austinbuddy works hard to keep presets running within the limits of the machine they’re designed for, so I’m sure he’d want to know if you are running into problems with a particular preset.
Thanks so much - this is great info
Been using pitch block on all my presets for dropping the key - for singing - I think that’s the one using a lot of CPU

Are you sure you are not using an Axe Fx preset.

Edit: Nevermind. We cross posted and I see you are using the Pitch block.

Well I found out the other night that ultra res rather than standard in the cab block uses like 5% cpu! that would be the first thing I would check.

A dumb question… what’s wrong with running at 82%? Just curious as I have an FM9 incoming sometime soon.
Because Fractal specifically warns that anything over 80% is getting into the area where underlying support threads begin getting starved. People do it and sometimes get away with it but it’s not a good practice. 80% gives it a little breathing room so that changes in the firmware don’t push over the edge. I try to keep mine below 80% because I hate surprises.

See What happens when the CPU limit is approached in the Wiki.

You can quickly get back some CPU by reducing the quality or the Reverb or Cab blocks without making a lot of difference in the sound quality. It’s hard to hear the difference when playing in an ensemble setting.
I remember seeing (on a video) that the FM9 has a dedicated processor for the reverb, and going from economy to ultra-high quality doesn't really change the cpu percentage much. I just did a quick test, and the cpu didn't change at all.

Well I found out the other night that ultra res rather than standard in the cab block uses like 5% cpu! that would be the first thing I would check.
Reverb can eat up CPU too. Run it at Normal then change to Economy and see if you can tell a difference in how it sounds when the full band is playing. It’s very unlikely that you can.

I remember seeing (on a video) that the FM9 has a dedicated processor for the reverb, and going from economy to ultra-high quality doesn't really change the cpu percentage much. I just did a quick test, and the cpu didn't change at all.
Correct, on the FM9 it has a dedicated core. On the FM3 it’s shared so you’ll definitely see it affect the load.

Do you have FM9 Edit open, and are you connected to a PC? I heard that the USB interface can use few % of CPU, so perhaps try the FM9 "standalone" and see if your CPU drops back into the safe zone?

Cheers

Doogz

Do you have FM9 Edit open, and are you connected to a PC? I heard that the USB interface can use few % of CPU, so perhaps try the FM9 "standalone" and see if your CPU drops back into the safe zone?

Cheers

Doogz
yes good idea will try that - is 82% okay to run? everything seems to be working fine. thanks

yes good idea will try that - is 82% okay to run? everything seems to be working fine. thanks

Technically no! I would concur with the other responses that it is best to stay at or under 80%. It may well work (I had some presets on FM3 that would work into the low 80%'s), however I wouldn't want a ghost in the machine giving me the middle finger during a gig!

Cheers

Doogz
just tried it - stays the same - gonna eliminate out 2 and all the boxes - see what that does

UPDATE - got rid of output 2 and 3 and it went down to 78.7 % thanks for the help on this

Last edited:
As a general rule, I would agree with others and say no. However, if you play every song or piece of music you are going to use the preset for and you don't have any issues you should be fine. Still, it's not a guarantee that nothing will happen so use at your own risk.

I have a couple of presets that push 80-82% and don't experience any issues. I've also had presets in the 78-80% range that would give a warning and sometimes disengage the Reverb block because of the increase in CPU due to combinations of effects.

Back
Top Bottom