Low Cut Frequency - Late to the party...

steveforward

Inspired
OK, so i've been experimenting with firmware 8 beta, and I wanted to create a new preset that had 4 new amps on it, this time, the ENGL, The Brit Brown, The 5150, and lastly, the USA MkIV Rhythm 1 (for cleans)

I'm happy with my cleans, but when I'm chugging away on the low end, there's a significant jump when looking at the preset levelling, it jumps a LOT into the "red"
I've been reliably informed that this red isn't clipping, so I'm moving on from that train of thought,...

However, I remembered when I used my JMP-1 preamp, the defauly LCF (Low Cut Frequ.) was like 714.0Hz. but it made things SO much more controllable.
I've since been applying this extreme amount to these new amps, and been getting some truly excellent results from otherwise boomy cabs.

is this a "thing"? is this "ok" to do? I've always gone with my gut on these things, and if it's sounded good, I've usually rolled with it.
Really finding i'm hitting much better dialled in tones when I remove a LOT of that low end in the amps Preamp LCF

Thoughts, tips, advice? thank you all (P.S. isn't firmware 8.00 beta, wonderful!)

on a side note, im seeing a drop of between 5 to even 10% of CPU on the new firmware.
Somebody take these guys out for pizza and beers. Legends every one of them...

1713485750756.png

Depends on the amp. Low cut before the amp is a good way to get rid of flabbiness in the distortion, but can sometimes lead to thin sounds. 700 Hz is pretty high, but if the end result sounds good and fits the mix, go with it.

I feel low end palm mute spikes are more exponential in this latest modeling. Experiment with less Master volume, and higher Low Cuts.

714 is the default LCF for the Marshall JMP-1, as i've played those for nigh on 20+ years, I guess im used to a thinner sound. Thanks guys for the comments!

I do up to 750 hz input eq lowcut on amps like the tucana lead or even the uberschall. I start high and then back it off till it sounds nice.

OK, so i've been experimenting with firmware 8 beta, and I wanted to create a new preset that had 4 new amps on it, this time, the ENGL, The Brit Brown, The 5150, and lastly, the USA MkIV Rhythm 1 (for cleans)

I'm happy with my cleans, but when I'm chugging away on the low end, there's a significant jump when looking at the preset levelling, it jumps a LOT into the "red"
I've been reliably informed that this red isn't clipping, so I'm moving on from that train of thought,...

However, I remembered when I used my JMP-1 preamp, the defauly LCF (Low Cut Frequ.) was like 714.0Hz. but it made things SO much more controllable.
I've since been applying this extreme amount to these new amps, and been getting some truly excellent results from otherwise boomy cabs.

is this a "thing"? is this "ok" to do? I've always gone with my gut on these things, and if it's sounded good, I've usually rolled with it.
Really finding i'm hitting much better dialled in tones when I remove a LOT of that low end in the amps Preamp LCF

Thoughts, tips, advice? thank you all (P.S. isn't firmware 8.00 beta, wonderful!)

on a side note, im seeing a drop of between 5 to even 10% of CPU on the new firmware.

View attachment 138968
I believe @2112 has presets dialed in with multi-band compression to specifically balance the chugs?

Hi Steve,

low cut before an amp definitely helps, but i think you might benefit and get more out of using a Multi Band Compressor block after the amp and cab to tame the low mids, it'll control that area nicely , without losing too much of that low end goodness going into the amp (i like to use a Filter block to boost things before an amp and use the Low cut at say 80hz for drop B metal that i do)

i made a video on making presets for metalcore, there's a section on the multiband compressor, you can try that out if you have the time

thanks

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

low cut before an amp definitely helps, but i think you might benefit and get more out of using a Multi Band Compressor block after the amp and cab to tame the low mids, it'll control that area nicely , without losing too much of that low end goodness going into the amp (i like to use a Filter block to boost things before an amp and use the Low cut at say 80hz for drop B metal that i do)

i made a video on making presets for metalcore, there's a section on the multiband compressor, try that out if you have the time

that's excellent thank you. I will look into this. Really appreciate the reply and help.

View attachment 138968
Hey Steve, interesting post because this is something I've been looking at also for a while. I use the JMP1 amp models quite a lot by the way, never played the real thing though so this is interesting.

The standard 80hz low cut in the cab doesn't really solve cleaning up the low end in my experience, it just helps you on the way to it. I'm going to try your 714hz pre amp cut and see what that does. Probably like me, you're trying to get a nice defined low end without the bass losing clarity.
Up till now I've been using the output eq on the amp block on the 8 band and slightly pulling down the 125 and 250 bands as those really affect the mud and thump from the amp. The result is that it really smooths and cleans up the low end.

Hi Steve,

i made a video on making presets for metalcore, there's a section on the multiband compressor, try that out if you have the time

Great stuff mate, will try this out too

714 is the default low cut frequ, in the JMP-1 OD-1 model I believe. last year sometime I had changed it to 75hz, and I found that when I rolled back the volume pot (I use the volume pot a LOT) it was very dark and muddy with no top.

I Checked the stock preset and in the preamp section it had a lo cut of 714. insane, but I've found it works really well.

Back
Top Bottom