Looking for This Sound...

bleujazz3

Fractal Fanatic
This evening, I was sitting at my computer researching like most people do, and heard a guitar tone I've never heard before. The guitarist's name was Loke Risberg, a modern Swedish jazz guitarist, of the Susanna Risberg Trio, who incorporated a unique effect that caused his guitar to sound like a muted trumpet or horn. Loke is an artist associated with Strandberg guitars. From what I could glean from the video, it looked like Loke was playing through a Rivera and perhaps a Deluxe Reverb of some sorts. Although the effects were obscured, but my guess is that one of the effects produced the muted horn sound.

My guess was that some type of envelope follower was used that smoothed out any harsh treble and softened the bass frequencies.

Here's a video clip. Skip to the 1:00 minute mark in. Sounds like a Barcus Barry that FZ once used, yes?

I'd like to try to imitate this muted horn sound. Truthfully, I'm not sure where to begin. Any guidance would be appreciated...

Almost sounds like a POG or something of the kind. The muted horn changes to a pitch-shifted keyboard. The FZ envelope follower/wah sound is recognizable as FZ's. Don't need both the muted horn/wah, but would be welcome to discover how the FM9 could copy this sound...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom