Looking for this classic '74 Arosmith tone - (with iso guitar track ref)

BillyZeppa

Power User
Hi guys. Anyone know how to nail this bristling 'grill-cloth' type tone, on Arosmith's original 'Walk This Way'

I'm sure it can be dialed in with amp and cab, but i'm wondering if anyone knows exactly how, or has a preset or a tonematch, recommendation, etc. Thanks.

Here's the tone isolated:

That is a kick ass tone.

I have always loved the guitar tone and the rhythm guitar parts on that track. Playing that part correctly still eludes me. I go back and give it a go now n then to see how close I have become.

From Google:

Mr. Perry: I wanted my guitar to sound like an electric razor. For "Walk This Way," I used a late-'50s Stratocaster Tobacco Sunburst with a stand-alone Ampeg V4 amp on top with a Marshall 4-by-12 speaker cabinet on the bottom. I also used a Gibson Maestro Fuzz-Tone to give the notes a little distortion. At some point, Steven suggested the double-kick drum, which gave us our trademark sound.

Last edited:
they used marshall and ampeg amps during that periode. small fenders was popular during that area.

in the ax8 i would try plexi 50 hi model (amp 171 and 172) with a greenback cab - tested the tweed route to see and amp 002 - 5F8 - with the matching cab F014, dimed the treble and set the saturation switch to ideal and got ballpark with both my 335 and (flame suit on) tele.

Not to detour your thread but, I toured with a V4 double stack (2 heads 4 cabs). In smaller venues I would just use 1 head and 1 cab. Great amps. I would love to see the V4 added to the amps in the Fractal arsenal. I put it on the wish list but I'm still wishing.

Where do you get isolated tracks like that? Is there some software that can create them from any song?

Where do you get isolated tracks like that? Is there some software that can create them from any song?
Search the net. Mogg files are isolated track files you can open in the free/demo version of Cockos Reaper. Sometimes you can find isolated tracks on youtube. Also just a general search, for example I just searched "isolated guitar tracks" on google and it brought up a heap.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom