Looking for something to play backing tracks, sound effects.

KG MD

Inspired
I wanted to get the opinions of the folk here at the Fractal forum. I'm looking for something that, from the description I've read of the Liquid Tracks device, would be similar. I'm looking for something that would store sound files and then play them back. I'd like if this were controllable with a midi foot-controller. It would be for things like the clock intro to Pink Floyd's "Time" or the radio station broadcast at the beginning of "Wish You Were Here." If it could broadcast a click to IEM's and possibly play pre-recorded backing loops, that would be perfect.
I'm not sure if something like this exists - I also don't know when the Liquid Tracks is expected, but I'm reluctant to put any faith in that company at present.
Looking forward to hearing back from you folks.

Kevin

Re: Looking for something to play backing tracks, sound effe

I use a Digitech Jamman Stereo. It does all you're asking

Diego said:
I use a Digitech Jamman Stereo. It does all you're asking
Really? I can't see a MIDI input in there - it is not controllable via MIDI...

An old Apple powerbook, an old version of MOTU digital performer, an interface that lets you accept/route multiple tracks, a midi footswitch.

That would give you complete midi control from your footswitch, allows you to have multitracks and routing, and with DP you can send midi commands out and automate your axe-fx -- goodbye tapdancing for solos.

That's the way I went. Works great.

Thanks for the replies. guys. Solo-act, can you describe in a little more detail what your setup is? When you say "automate your Axe" you mean midi-controlled through DP? How does this avoid tap-dancing? You still have to hit the controller for patch changes, no?
Also, the Digitech allows you to output that click through a separate channel so it can be IEM only? We're thinking about "Where The Streets Have No Name" as a possible song for the future.

KG

KG MD said:
Thanks for the replies. guys. Solo-act, can you describe in a little more detail what your setup is?
Laptop runs DP. DP is a DAW. In a very simple DAW setup you have your backing track in one track, your click on another, your midi commands for your axe-fx on another (if you've got a click going the whole song). That's it. Then either through USB or firewire, you connect to the external audio interface of your choice. In DP you decide what track goes to what input in the interface. In the interface you choose what input/audio is routed to what physical output, then cable that output to its destination (click to drummer, tracks to mixing board, etc). Then you send your midi track in the DAW out of USB on laptop to a midi interface that changes USB to a MIDI connector and that goes into the axe-fx. Pretty simple really.

I prefer the Gordius Little Giant because the midi interface is already built into it, you have instant random access to your banks, the midi is 2-way down one cable (you send commands to axe-fx AND receive tuner from axe-fx which displays on the LG, plus you can simultaneously send commands to laptop down the USB cable, controlling the laptop remotely via footswitch). Most midi interfaces require two cables for two way MIDI, and I don't think the MFC has a midi interface. The little giant is great for this kind of stuff.

When it comes to controlling the laptop, since the midi interface is already built into the little giant, and DP can be configured to listen to any midi command, you simply punch in the number on the LG for the song you want, send a CC to start the song, and the laptop does the rest.
Even though my axe-fx is automated, I build manual control into the footswitch for the song. This provides a redundant backup in case midi goes down from laptop to axe-fx, or if I simply want to kick on a axe-fx pedal or effect on the fly.
When you say "automate your Axe" you mean midi-controlled through DP?
Yes. Read up on axe-fx, and you'll see how you can automate everything with midi commands including patch changes. The backing track can contain midi commands for everything you'd typically do with your feet on a footswitch -- even stuff like automating the wah, volume...look into midi and the axe-fx. You'll impressed how much you can automate.

Ok, no MIDI input in the Digitech. I record the loop in one of the 99 preset (or 99+99 if you use a memory card) and I start and stop with my foot. No automation but I can manage very well live without jumping around the stage.

Thanks again, guys. Solo - that sounds like a great set-up but maybe a little overkill for what I need. Diego, thanks for your input also. I think something like this would be close. The midi control was just so I didn't need to add another pedal at my feet.
So what is the best way to run a click to IEMs for the entire band and synch that tempo to the Axe without using a computer and DAW?

KG

Take a look at the Roland SP series or Akai MPC samplers. These devices can store hundreds of loops that may be played back at the push of a pad or under MIDI control. They can also play back sequenced arrangements of loops. On the software side Ableton Live seems to be a popular way to go for performance based loop playback and sequencing. All of these options also have abilites to play back loops at tempos other than the recorded tempos.

JWW

Here's another idea for you,

Many years ago I built my own footswitchable PC keyboard. Not a full QWERTY board of footswitches for foot typing :) just the few particular keystrokes I needed to control the software. Space bar for play/pause, up/down arrows for playlist navigation. You get the idea.

It was relatively easy and I did it free with parts I already had laying around. I had a 5 button footswitch in a metal box and an old PC keyboard. Hack open the keyboard, in the corner where the caps lock / num LEDs are there's this little PC board with contacts along one edge. Underneath the key surface are these clear plastic sheets that have conductive circuit traces printed on them. It took a little bit of effort to map the traces to the corresponding contact points, but once I did I knew exactly where to solder the wires to the footswitches.

I mounted the little PC board inside the metal box, wired it up, plugged it into my laptop and Viola! I had foot control over DAW functions with no midi. It worked great!

KG MD said:
Thanks again, guys. Solo - that sounds like a great set-up but maybe a little overkill for what I need. Diego, thanks for your input also. I think something like this would be close. The midi control was just so I didn't need to add another pedal at my feet.
So what is the best way to run a click to IEMs for the entire band and synch that tempo to the Axe without using a computer and DAW?

KG

I use a Digitech GNX4 .... just the tracks part. (i've never once plugged my guitar into it). I create the backing track in my computer DAW and import it into the GNX4 memory card with a USB cable. Once the tracks are in there the computer isn't needed anymore.

MIDI doesn't work with this unit for controlling tracks. I just set it next to my guitar pedal board .

The tracks are stereo. The audio on the right and the click on the left. The right side feeds to both the PA and our monitor system. The Left only goes to the monitor board. Anyone in the band can have as much or as little click as they want since we have separate IEM mixes.

Here's a tip.... some songs will have really long sections where it gets repetitive and the band can lose their place. So, on the click side, embed some verbal cues that only the band can hear. Something like .... VERSE,2,3,4..... BRIDGE 2,3,4 ... etc.

I'm about to go to Digital Performer this fall. The software is shipping as we speak and I have to convert our tracks and cues to use it like Eric does. It has way more power, But the GNX4 will certainly do the job.

edit:.... to sync tempo with the AXE you really don't have to. If anyone really NEEDED to it would be me. You set up your patch in the AXE already saved at the correct delay times/tempos and then just play to the click.

Another tip..... if you have trouble playing to a metronome type click, try making your tracks with another sound like a shaker doing 1/16 notes with accents on the counts. We do both kinds depending on the song and feels better to play to.

Back
Top Bottom