Listen to guitar in Stereo in Cubase

twentytwenty

Inspired
Wondering if one of you savvy recording gurus can help me.

I can record into cubase no problem with a mono track but when I create a stereo track and play I can only ever hear the AXE-FX in mono, I have the two outputs(from the axe) going to individual channels in my fast track pro and they are configured one for left and one for right.

I just cannot hear any stereo effects such as ping pong delay etc.

Any ideas.

Thanks

Twenty

Could you describe more precisely your setup and how your VST-In- and Outputs are configured in Cubase?

I use the digital output of the Axe (into an RME Fireface SPDIF Input) and have beautiful stereo tone.

B.

I had to set up a config to use, I think in VST Connections.
I defined a stereo input bus called spdif. Now when I create
a stereo audio track I can choose "spdif" as input and I get
the stereo field.

Bartolus said:
Could you describe more precisely your setup and how your VST-In- and Outputs are configured in Cubase?

I use the digital output of the Axe (into an RME Fireface SPDIF Input) and have beautiful stereo tone.

I basically, run a 1/4" jack for each of the output 1 jacks on the back and then into my Fast Track Pro whihc is a 2 channel input interface.

From there I seperate each track one for left and one for right using the routing inside cubase, So when I create a new stereo track I select a stereo input so that each track is running seperatley, I just cant get the output to osund what is incoming.?

Struggling!

Use the SPDIF input on your audio interface and connect this to the digital out of the Axe FX. Select SPDIF as your audio input in cubase and ensure that you create a stereo audio track for recording.

Even without using SPDIF, you can get gorgeous stereo tracks from the Axe into Cubase.

At the risk of asking the obvious, did you pan your two tracks hard left and right in Cubase when you listened to them? Otherwise, with everything panned dead center, all you get is L+R in both channels, i.e. mono.

Daniel

For me the problem was that I simply expected all of my soundcard's inputs to be automatically selectable from an audio track. I didn't realize I had to first define an input bus in VST Connections.

Open VST Connections, go to the inputs tab. You should be able to see all of your soundcard's inputs. Assign the two you are using to a bus, and name it.

Now when you open an audio track, right clicking on the IN field should show you your newly defined bus as an option.

Hope that helps. It's what worked for me.

twentytwenty said:
Bartolus said:

I basically, run a 1/4" jack for each of the output 1 jacks on the back and then into my Fast Track Pro whihc is a 2 channel input interface.

From there I seperate each track one for left and one for right using the routing inside cubase, So when I create a new stereo track I select a stereo input so that each track is running seperatley, I just cant get the output to osund what is incoming.?

Struggling!

Check your VST cnnections in Cubase .. if it is SX3 then it's under Devices tab ... In there make sure you have stereo IN bus defined and stereo OUT bus defined as well... Now create a stereo track ... on the track itself click that little "e" button .. "vst audio channel settings" comes up ... make sure in the upper left corner little box on top states your newly created stereo bus and little box right under that states "Main Stereo Out" or whatever you main outs in your interface are named...

Other than that I can't think of anything without looking at you screenshot of routing.

Mik.

you don't hear it in stereo? do you have both guitars plugged in?

just kidding.

on the stereo track you're recording to, are you seeing information on both sides (top and bottom) of the track? can you take a screenshot of what it looks like? i can help you with that.

also, as others have said, have you checked your Connections and Inputs?

cubase.jpg

this is what mine looks like with the default mac soundcard. yours should say "Fast Track Pro 1(L)" on one line and "Fast Track Pro 2(R)" on the other line, or something like that (instead of "Built-in Audio L")

chrisallen8888 said:
you don't hear it in stereo? do you have both guitars plugged in?

just kidding.

on the stereo track you're recording to, are you seeing information on both sides (top and bottom) of the track? can you take a screenshot of what it looks like? i can help you with that.

also, as others have said, have you checked your Connections and Inputs?

cubase.jpg

this is what mine looks like with the default mac soundcard. yours should say "Fast Track Pro 1(L)" on one line and "Fast Track Pro 2(R)" on the other line, or something like that (instead of "Built-in Audio L")
Bakerman said:
Is Output 1 Mode set to "Stereo" in the Axe-FX's I/O menu?

Yeah thats what my VST Input screen looks like, I think then it must be something to do with the way it being sent out I will look into Miks suggestions of making sure teh tracks out is something along the lines of "Main Stereo Out".

Failing that I will look into spdif, which I have never used.

Thanks so much for all your input guys, Much appreciated.

Twenty

I cant see why you would use anything other than SPDIF in this setup? A single cable for a clean stereo recording - you know it makes sense ;)

Sportacus said:
I cant see why you would use anything other than SPDIF in this setup? A single cable for a clean stereo recording - you know it makes sense ;)

To be honest I dont know anything about it.

I will get on it now though ;)

twentytwenty said:
Yeah thats what my VST Input screen looks like, I think then it must be something to do with the way it being sent out I will look into Miks suggestions of making sure teh tracks out is something along the lines of "Main Stereo Out".

Failing that I will look into spdif, which I have never used.

Thanks so much for all your input guys, Much appreciated.

Twenty

S/PDIF or analogue shouldn't really make a difference, except to eliminate any routing errors. As Dpoirier mentioned, if you're recording your stereo signal to two mono tracks, you have to make sure those two tracks are panned hard left and right, or you'll just get two signals straight down the middle, giving you a mono sound. If it's a single stereo track, are you hearing everything and it's all just forced into mono, or are you only hearing half of the sound?

DNW said:
S/PDIF or analogue shouldn't really make a difference, except to eliminate any routing errors. As Dpoirier mentioned, if you're recording your stereo signal to two mono tracks, you have to make sure those two tracks are panned hard left and right, or you'll just get two signals straight down the middle, giving you a mono sound. If it's a single stereo track, are you hearing everything and it's all just forced into mono, or are you only hearing half of the sound?

The track is getting recorded in Stereo but is playing in Mono... Still struggling..

I remember i had this issue when I first started with the Axe-FX.

What it was for me was I hadn't set the patch up in the Axe correctly.

I was recording a stereo track. Left and right had their own seperate different amp and cab set up but I forgot to do a few things. I discovered I needed to pan each amp block hard left and hard right, then pan each respective cab hard left and hard right. This still didn't fix it, but I knew i was on the right track once I fixed the next part...

I also had to change the output to stereo, by turning off "Copy Left--->Right" on Output 1 and 2. This helped lots.

Plus then I made sure I asked the engineer to pan each track on the computer hard left and hard right while we were tracking so we knew it was going down correctly. I also got him to check his main outs to the monitors were panned correctly.

With this all done, I had a smile on my face as I heard that lovely stereo delay come through, albeit with different tones on each side.

TimmyM

Back
Top Bottom