Line 6 Catalyst CX 100

Jipps0525

Power User
I bought this amp for fun with some guitar center trade in credit and wanting to try the helix modeling. Within the next few weeks when I have more time, I definitely plan to try using the catalyst cx as a power amp with my fm9. I’m wondering if this will sound better than my fm9 through the fender Fr-12. Anyone trying the catalyst as a power amp and can share their experiences?

I'm a big hell yeah for trying something out of the box. It might be badass!.

If you get bored .. take it apart and post some pics and let's have a look under the hood.

There are a lot of similarities between L6 and FR12/10 amp looking FRFRs

I bought this amp for fun with some guitar center trade in credit and wanting to try the helix modeling. Within the next few weeks when I have more time, I definitely plan to try using the catalyst cx as a power amp with my fm9.
I'll be interested to hear your thoughts. I had a pre-CX Catalyst for about a week and was very underwhelmed.
I’m wondering if this will sound better than my fm9 through the fender Fr-12. Anyone trying the catalyst as a power amp and can share their experiences?
I'd be very surprised if the Catalyst CX compares well with the FR-12, but that's because I wasn't impressed with how the original Catalyst sounded with the FM9. The CX might be a significant upgrade though so again I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts. I had a pre-CX Catalyst for about a week and was very underwhelmed.

I'd be very surprised if the Catalyst CX compares well with the FR-12, but that's because I wasn't impressed with how the original Catalyst sounded with the FM9. The CX might be a significant upgrade though so again I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts.
What made you underwhelmed about the original catalyst? So far I very much so like the tones I’ve gotten. I think with a solid midi controller I could def gig this. But I’m very interested in hearing my fm9 through it

What made you underwhelmed about the original catalyst? So far I very much so like the tones I’ve gotten. I think with a solid midi controller I could def gig this. But I’m very interested in hearing my fm9 through it
From an old post I made on another forum:

"It’s quite good at lower gain stuff and the effects seem pretty good but I can’t get a high gain sound I actually like. At least not compared to the Vypyr 60. On the Catalyst, the low end is comparatively anemic, I can’t get the mids to sound even decent, and the high end doesn’t seem pleasant.

To reiterate, I’m just talking high gain. I haven’t tried it with pedals yet so it might be okay with those."

But I believe there were some changes made after I tried it. For example, I read they added the Badonk amp which could definitely address my problem with the Catalyst's high gain.

Also, I still have and love the Peavey Vypyr 60. That thing sets a really high bar for modeling combos imo, especially with the effects loop mod which was necessary for me regardless but also makes it play quite well with the FM9. I have yet to find another modeling amp that I like as much as that one.

From an old post I made on another forum:

"It’s quite good at lower gain stuff and the effects seem pretty good but I can’t get a high gain sound I actually like. At least not compared to the Vypyr 60. On the Catalyst, the low end is comparatively anemic, I can’t get the mids to sound even decent, and the high end doesn’t seem pleasant.

To reiterate, I’m just talking high gain. I haven’t tried it with pedals yet so it might be okay with those."

But I believe there were some changes made after I tried it. For example, I read they added the Badonk amp which could definitely address my problem with the Catalyst's high gain.

Also, I still have and love the Peavey Vypyr 60. That thing sets a really high bar for modeling combos imo, especially with the effects loop mod which was necessary for me regardless but also makes it play quite well with the FM9. I have yet to find another modeling amp that I like as much as that one.
What's the fx loop mod entail on that Vypyr? I'd probably go to the aux in for my modeler?

What's the fx loop mod entail on that Vypyr? I'd probably go to the aux in for my modeler?
It was a little touchy as it involved soldering and some tiny SMD parts. Well worth it though. It was this IIRC.

I either use it as traditionally for reverb and delay or I just plug my FM9 into the return. I think theee might've been some issue with using the Aux in? Hmmm. I can't remember. Maybe not.

It was a little touchy as it involved soldering and some tiny SMD parts. Well worth it though. It was this IIRC.

I either use it as traditionally for reverb and delay or I just plug my FM9 into the return. I think theee might've been some issue with using the Aux in? Hmmm. I can't remember. Maybe not.
Verrrrry interesting! I ran my FM through the Stealth fx return into my Celestion F12 cabs today. Very pleasing \m/

My old job used to have a peavey vypyr laying around that I would mess around with. Loved it’s high gain tones honestly; it was a cool amp wonder why it’s not marketed more

My old job used to have a peavey vypyr laying around that I would mess around with. Loved it’s high gain tones honestly; it was a cool amp wonder why it’s not marketed more
They're badass. The 60w and 120w versions with tubes were freaking awesome. I wish they'd continued developing them. The Vypyr line is kinda unique in the modeling space because the distortion/gain is analog. Additionally, the effects are digital and were developed by the Damage Control folks (who later became Strymon).

Verrrrry interesting! I ran my FM through the Stealth fx return into my Celestion F12 cabs today. Very pleasing \m/
If it's the 50w Stealth you're definitely speaking my language. Fractal into EVH into real cabs is freaking ridiculous.

Reactions: JTI
Have not had a chance to try my original idea yet since my gear is in different locations at the moment. The Catalyst Cx 100 is a solid amp though and could easily gig with it. Some really cool Helix driven sounds on there.

Also, for a great price, I picked up a used Peavey VYPYR Pro 100 combo amp which uses a trans-tube technology and somehow uses analog distortion for its gain staging. Used it at rehearsal for the first time last night with the Sanpera Pro controller it came with. I gotta say… this amp has some seriously solid tones and has an easy workflow to it. I really hope they come out with an updated vypyr pro model soon. Legit in awe of the tones from it

Back
Top Bottom