Leslie / Rotary

I remember getting the Quadraverb GT back in the old days, and discovering the Leslie simulator therein. Total game changer for my sound at the time!

Lately, I like running Leslie and Chorus in parallel sometimes. You get an array of interesting sounds anywhere from 2:1 chorus:rotary (33.33% rotary and 66.67% chorus) blend up through 100% rotary, from subtle to swirling. It's a cool use for a continuous controller. ...

I use 0.8 Hz (48rpm) and 6.8Hz (408rpm) for Chorale and Vibrato, respectively, based on research, to get the slow and fast speeds sounding right to me....

Last edited:
TBH, the fast speed in the Axe works for me, but slow doesn't have the sheer majesty of a real Leslie up too loud. A B3 and one of those is hazardous to your pants.

I have a number of software Leslies too, and none of them do that thing all that well. Says my memory, but I don't trust that guy, and it's been a while, so

I use the Leslie block as my #1 modulation effect. Often in songs where the original recording has chorus or light flanging. The feel of the Leslie is more organic, and because the model isn't (entirely) based on a modulated delay - like chorus / flanging - it doesn't tend to "smear" the note attack so much.

Wikipedia has useful information for adjusting the block to behave closer to a real Leslie.

In addition, the original maintenance manual(s) are available online with some data that can be useful too:
In the attached files, Rotary.zip contains my versions of the rotary block (along with Rotary Demo.syx.zip which is my version of my Tone King Imperial Mk II) exported from my FM3. The preset and block should work fine with any of the FX3, FM9 or FM3 units that are running on the current firmware respectively.
  • The rotor and drum change their rotation at different speeds, similar to what Cooper talked about in his video, and are based on the hardware manual and Wikipedia information.
  • I don't remember if I changed the rotor length, but I might have as I was trying to replicate the settings based on the manual.
  • The rotation width changes depending on the channel; I found I preferred the sound-stage to change depending on whether it was rotating slowly or quickly or when braked.
  • The preset has a per-preset override for the FC on switches 1 and 2, and both are set to use smart-bypass so a tap on switch 1 engages the block on channel A, which is slow rotation, and hold on switch 1 is the brake mode on channel C. Similarly, tapping switch 2 engages the "chorale" (high speed rotation) on channel B and holding it engages the brake. Tapping either switch when the block is engaged will bypass the block. The brake slows the rotor and drum very quickly, which is based on my memory from working with keyboard players who used them, and from observing its rotor when braking from the organist in bands like Tedeschi Trucks, Government Mule and The Allman Brothers Band.
  • Adjust the settings to your own taste.

Attachments

• Rotary Demo.syx.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Rotary.zip
    7.4 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom