learning curve from Axe FX III to FM9?

violindave

Inspired
Current Axe FX III user plus FC12. Looking at getting the FM9 for live.
1. will I have much of a learning curve on the FM9?
2. will the smaller number of footswitches restrict much from your experience?
3. Will I notice downsides to the switch?

Thanks!!

1) No. Basically the same parameters, just 9 footswitches instead of 12
2) No. Hold functions and views and multiple layouts suffice
3) See above

I have both. There is really no difference IMO other than CPU etc... I mean there is differences, but I love my FM9 for flying!

Current Axe FX III user plus FC12. Looking at getting the FM9 for live.
1. will I have much of a learning curve on the FM9?
2. will the smaller number of footswitches restrict much from your experience?
3. Will I notice downsides to the switch?

Thanks!!
There’s really no difference as far as operation.

The FM9 doesn’t have the same CPU capabilities or memory and has a smaller compliment of blocks available so presets built on the FX3 typically need some paring down to fit, but it’s usually very easily done, just do the work on the FX3 then export it and import it into the FM9.

If you’ve prepped a bunch of presets then backup that bank and drop it into the left pane of the Preset Manager in FM9-Edit and drag the presets to the slots you want to use.

They’re great units and the FM9 is just right for the average user.

Reactions: LCW
There are some differences aside from what's been mentioned.

The Axe Fx has a few blocks that don't exist on FM9, such as RTA, ToneMatch, Vocoder.

Only the Axe Fx has Global Blocks.

Some blocks allow for a fewer number of each on the FM9. Check the Blocks Guide for a comparison.

Also, the pedal jacks on the FM9 only support a single switch (vs 2 switches on the FCs).

Recently there was a similarish thread here you might wanna glance at to https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/going-from-fx3-mkii-to-fm9-turbo.189209/ . I am currently an owner of all 3 units and I find jumping around from one to another pretty seamless for the most part. I REALLY love the OMG9 layouts with the layout links. I so love having access to the front panel features at my feet. I'm using that so much more now that it is easily accessible. I do miss the second pitch block but aside from that all of my III presets translated right over. Without knowing how your current rig is configured it's hard to know if you'll feel much impact from the differences but my guess is probably not too much that maybe with a little change of perspective you can't come up with a creative solution for. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom