Lead Amp Necessities list

DC11GTR

Inspired
I rarely use effects with lead tones. Maybe a hint of delay and it's usually the same one. What I do do, however, is constantly switch amps and drive combinations. Based on that, I want to make a duo of presets using 8 different lead amps and tack on a few effects, just in case, but focusing mostly on the amps themselves and the 1 and/or 2 drives that will go in front of them. My main presets prior to this lil' project has been my 3 Satch'y presets and 2 Eric Johnson presets. So, in that regard, I've got the "Marshall" side covered. And now I want to get the rest.

The way I'm looking at is not so much an [insert favorite guitarist's tone or list your favorite amp] but more foundational. For instance, If you have use a Marshall (regardless of which one) you have the beginnings of every Marshall tone ever. I hope that makes sense. It's like a Tele vs a Strat vs a Les Paul vs Super Strat vs 7/8 string. If you have one of each, you're pretty much covered. Here's what I have so far:

Marshall
Fender
Boogie
Bogner
Soldano
Legacy
CAE+
Vox

Now, that's a hell of a group of 8 already, but if you have a Legacy, you sort of have a Bogner or vice versa... In a manner of speaking. Same with Soldano and CAE+. They may be tonally completely different, but they have similar characteristics. Based on that list, what am I missing? Perhaps a "Djent'y lead" or a clean jazzy lead? There are so many amps in this thing that it's hard to know what is considered the "beginnings" of a sound and not a "based on" even if it is done better than the original.

I rarely use effects with lead tones. Maybe a hint of delay and it's usually the same one. What I do do, however, is constantly switch amps and drive combinations. Based on that, I want to make a duo of presets using 8 different lead amps and tack on a few effects, just in case, but focusing mostly on the amps themselves and the 1 and/or 2 drives that will go in front of them. My main presets prior to this lil' project has been my 3 Satch'y presets and 2 Eric Johnson presets. So, in that regard, I've got the "Marshall" side covered. And now I want to get the rest.

The way I'm looking at is not so much an [insert favorite guitarist's tone or list your favorite amp] but more foundational. For instance, If you have use a Marshall (regardless of which one) you have the beginnings of every Marshall tone ever. I hope that makes sense. It's like a Tele vs a Strat vs a Les Paul vs Super Strat vs 7/8 string. If you have one of each, you're pretty much covered. Here's what I have so far:

Marshall
Fender
Boogie
Bogner
Soldano
Legacy
CAE+
Vox

Now, that's a hell of a group of 8 already, but if you have a Legacy, you sort of have a Bogner or vice versa... In a manner of speaking. Same with Soldano and CAE+. They may be tonally completely different, but they have similar characteristics. Based on that list, what am I missing? Perhaps a "Djent'y lead" or a clean jazzy lead? There are so many amps in this thing that it's hard to know what is considered the "beginnings" of a sound and not a "based on" even if it is done better than the original.
I would say you have all the bases covered so most are just going to be a variation on a theme
But maybe Hiwatt if you want that Floyd thing
A DrZ for country twang
A Trainwreck
A 5153

I humbly disagree. On my list, I'd probably have four different Marshall amps.

True, but they’re all Marshall’s. It may turn out that I only use 2 or 3 from my list and end up with multiple Marshalls. I just want that starting point so I whittle it down.

I would say you have all the bases covered so most are just going to be a variation on a theme
But maybe Hiwatt if you want that Floyd thing
A DrZ for country twang
A Trainwreck
A 5153

The “variations on a theme” is why I made this thread. I keep running into that. I just want to cover all of the bases. I haven’t tried a DrZ so I’ll check that out.

Back
Top Bottom