Layout Links are Awesome

Lance Holland

Inspired
I'm sure that anyone that's using them already knows this....but, I wanted to mention it for those that haven't yet tried it. I primarily live in the effects layout. Once our band is playing a song, I'm just turning the effects on/off. I've added Layout Links for the presets (Layout 1) and scenes layouts (Layouts 2 & 3). Select the preset, it jumps to the scenes....select the scene and it jumps to the effects. It's so intuitive.

If you haven't explored this, click on the FC Edit button in FM9 Edit. On Layout 1, click the edit links button for each foot switch that selects a scene and choose Layout 2/View 1. Repeat that for each of the footswitches in Layout 1 other than the tuner button. Then, on Layout 2 and 3, repeat the process and select Layout 4 for each button that selects a scene.

Anyway, Captain Obvious just wanted to share....

The FC features are brilliant. Anyone who says that other brand X has a better user interface is ignoring the interface that matters the most: the one you use while playing. No other product has as much power and flexibility built into their foot switch offerings. FAS has the best live user interface.

I'm sure that anyone that's using them already knows this....but, I wanted to mention it for those that haven't yet tried it. I primarily live in the effects layout. Once our band is playing a song, I'm just turning the effects on/off. I've added Layout Links for the presets (Layout 1) and scenes layouts (Layouts 2 & 3). Select the preset, it jumps to the scenes....select the scene and it jumps to the effects. It's so intuitive.

If you haven't explored this, click on the FC Edit button in FM9 Edit. On Layout 1, click the edit links button for each foot switch that selects a scene and choose Layout 2/View 1. Repeat that for each of the footswitches in Layout 1 other than the tuner button. Then, on Layout 2 and 3, repeat the process and select Layout 4 for each button that selects a scene.

Layout links are the glue that make the individual layouts act as a cohesive entity. Get them working right and it’s like the FC is reading our mind and anticipating our needs.

I rely on Per-Presets assignments and the Per-Preset layout rather than the Effects layout.

Are your scenes mostly used for changing the amp block?

I rely on Per-Presets assignments and the Per-Preset layout rather than the Effects layout.

Same. Well...mostly, I don't need to do that because I like (relatively) simple setups, but I do it when I go crazy and want to try something more complex. It works really well.

The FC features are brilliant. Anyone who says that other brand X has a better user interface is ignoring the interface that matters the most: the one you use while playing. No other product has as much power and flexibility built into their foot switch offerings. FAS has the best live user interface.

I honestly have mixed feelings, but I've also only really used Fractal switches. I think that there's something to be said about all the things that the Morningstars and RJM controllers can do with one button press, including something very similar to layout links. They use different terminology and require what seems to be more diligence to get them to work together. But....I don't see it as better vs. worse rather than just capabilities that don't completely overlap.

If I ever switch to an AF3, I'd have to do some real experimentation to figure out which foot controller I'd use.

@marsonic I agree that offerings from RJM and other high end MIDI foot controller manufacturers are competitive in terms of abilities (and even better in some use cases), but none of the other modelers can match the foot switch functionality of the FAS ecosystem right now. People often tout the great user interface of Helix or Quad Cortex as a reason why they prefer them but the foot switches on those units just aren't comparable.

@marsonic I agree that offerings from RJM and other high end MIDI foot controller manufacturers are competitive in terms of abilities (and even better in some use cases), but none of the other modelers can match the foot switch functionality of the FAS ecosystem right now. People often tout the great user interface of Helix or Quad Cortex as a reason why they prefer them but the foot switches on those units just aren't comparable.

Ahh....that's what you were saying.

I don't have any real disagreement there. But...I haven't spent much time with them. They didn't sound good enough in the store to bother with.

Back
Top Bottom