Layout 1: Presets - Is Scene switching available?

bigkid

Hi all. Trying to get my head around Presets, Views and Scenes on the FM3 - although I expect I am still a long way down the list. :) I see from Larry Mitchel's post on his switch config, that the switches can toggle scenes with a tap. So, tap Switch One and it is Scene 1, tap it again and it is Scene 2. LM has the same setup for each of the three switches, so, Scene switching rather than Preset switching. My query can a similar config apply in Layout 1: Presets, for each Preset available in the Bank? For example, say I have two Scenes for each of the three Presets in the Bank. Can I toggle between the two Scenes for each Preset by tapping again the relevant switch for the selected Preset?

I am hoping that the Tap function will provide for this kind of switching as I want to use the hold function for -Bank, Tuner and +Bank.

Appreciate the advice

Cheers

Allan

the Default Layouts are just that: Defaults, a starting point.

you can change any switch to do whatever you want within the functions provided.

each switch can have a Tap function and a Hold function.

unfortunately you can't simply Tap a switch for the Preset, then tap the same switch again to change a Scene - what Scene would it change to? there's no place for a "double tap" function like that.

you can however use Layout Links. this feature allows the function (like choosing a Preset with a Tap of a switch in Layout 1) to do that function AND change Layouts. so you could set the Layout Link of all 3 Tap functions to change to Layout 2: Scenes.

what you've described that Larry does is a specific function called Scene Toggle. it toggles/changes between 2 Scenes specifically. that's why that works. but there's no "toggle between 2 whatever functions" available.

Hi all. Trying to get my head around Presets, Views and Scenes on the FM3 - although I expect I am still a long way down the list. :) I see from Larry Mitchel's post on his switch config, that the switches can toggle scenes with a tap. So, tap Switch One and it is Scene 1, tap it again and it is Scene 2. LM has the same setup for each of the three switches, so, Scene switching rather than Preset switching. My query can a similar config apply in Layout 1: Presets, for each Preset available in the Bank? For example, say I have two Scenes for each of the three Presets in the Bank. Can I toggle between the two Scenes for each Preset by tapping again the relevant switch for the selected Preset?

I am hoping that the Tap function will provide for this kind of switching as I want to use the hold function for -Bank, Tuner and +Bank.

Appreciate the advice

Cheers

Allan
If I understand what you are asking, then no.

A button can change scene or preset on tap (or hold) but not preset and scene.

Possibly you could use the Views feature to do something like that, but I'm not sure as I have an Axe Fx III and FC-12

Thanks Chris, unix-guy. Seems like using the Scene Layout may be the way to go. I was hoping to avoid that as I normally set up presets based on one of the factory presets and just tweak until it suits me, copy it to wherever I want it. Using scenes will mean starting each tone (Scene) from scratch, perhaps short-cutting the process a bit by copying block settings from the factory presets. Layout Links looks interesting. I'll look into that further. Thanks.

Allan

Thanks Chris, unix-guy. Seems like using the Scene Layout may be the way to go. I was hoping to avoid that as I normally set up presets based on one of the factory presets and just tweak until it suits me, copy it to wherever I want it. Using scenes will mean starting each tone (Scene) from scratch, perhaps short-cutting the process a bit by copying block settings from the factory presets. Layout Links looks interesting. I'll look into that further. Thanks.

Allan
you may be missing a big part of how the FCs work.

"Scene Layout" is just a suggestion. you can change any switch to be anything you want. you can have a Preset Up and Down switch, then 2 scenes on the other switches if you want.

i'm almost done making an in-depth video on how the switches work. in the meantime, you might benefit from reading an article i wrote. it's lengthy and i still have to update it with pictures, etc. but it might give you more insight on how everything works.

https://www.axefxtutorials.com/fm3/fm3-footswitch-design-and-concepts/

i'm not understanding why you're saying you have to go to Scenes instead of Presets. why not just use Presets?

Thanks Chris. I am looking to maximise the number of tones available at a single switch tap. I have 8 or 9 tones I use regularly. As I understand it, Scenes will give me access to 6 tones with a single tap (a la LH's Layout), while presets a maximum of 3. I have enough trouble remembering the next chord let alone managing holding and tapping separate switches while playing :) Thanks for the link, I'll swing by. Cheers.

OK Chris. That has thrown me. I'd assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that only one Bank of three presets are available in the Preset Layout. So, are you saying I can have 2 presets for each Switch and toggle between them just by tapping one Switch?? Giving me 6 tones (Presets) available for selection with the press of a single Switch? For example I could toggle between Presets 1 and 4 by tapping on Switch A, Presets 2 and 5 by tapping on Switch B and Presets 3 and 6 by tapping on Switch C. Or have I misunderstood?

If it is correct, how do I get to Presets 7 and 8 and others? Could I use Hold for Switch A for -Bank and Switch C for +Bank. If so, where does +Bank take me if there are only 3 presets in each Bank?? Can I get it to jump two banks?

Thanks for your patience. Just going to look at your link now.

Cheers,

Allan

OK Chris. That has thrown me. I'd assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that only one Bank of three presets are available in the Preset Layout. So, are you saying I can have 2 presets for each Switch and toggle between them just by tapping one Switch?? Giving me 6 tones (Presets) available for selection with the press of a single Switch? For example I could toggle between Presets 1 and 4 by tapping on Switch A, Presets 2 and 5 by tapping on Switch B and Presets 3 and 6 by tapping on Switch C. Or have I misunderstood?
You can toggle between any 2 presets. You can also Increment or Decrement presets specifying the starting and ending preset numbers and even allowing them scrolling to "wrap" at the end.
If it is correct, how do I get to Presets 7 and 8 and others? Could I use Hold for Switch A for -Bank and Switch C for +Bank. If so, where does +Bank take me if there are only 3 presets in each Bank?? Can I get it to jump two banks?

Thanks for your patience. Just going to look at your link now.

Cheers,

Allan
You can control all of those things...

You should really read the manual for this. It will open a world of possibilities ;)

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downlo...l-Audio-Footswitch-Functions-Guide.pdf#page58

Thanks Unix. You're stars. I must admit to reading the manual and being utterly confused by the Layouts section. Just couldn't get my head around the possibilities. For example, the pic on page 76 seemed to confirmed to me that one bank of three sequential presets is available at any one time, that based on Value #1 being (sequentially in one bank) 1, 2 and 3, no entry for Value #2 and no description of the alternatives in the Function Column (ie. Select in Bank). Thanks for sorting it out for me. Cheers. Allan

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom