K&M Four Guitar Stand

SpudMan

Experienced
I am considering this stand but wondering about the following given that my LP is nitrocelluous vos finish. Does anyone have any experience with whether these stands can damage the finish of the guitar? Thanks!

From the K&M instructions:
"Our guitar stands in the translucent version are suitable for all kinds of guitarlacquers, including nitro lacquer. The colorless support elements are made of highquality elastomer plastic, which does not contain any color.Therefore discoloration from the stand to the guitar is eliminated. However with nitrolacquers which are not fully hardened it can happen in some cases that the colorsof the guitars “bleed”, that means that the colors blur or fade, and can cause dents."

If the K&M stand is safe for your LP, then it's likely a good choice. I'd say key statements to look for are "non-reactive" or "nitrocellulose-safe". It would be worth emailing K&M and asking if the plastic parts that touch the guitar are safe to be in contact with the finish. It's great that these are described as being color-safe; and I'd also want to know if they are finish-safe. They might be, and I wouldn't be surprised if they just are being cautious about the wording to avoid an implied guarantee.
Hercules stands are explicit about this, and I've never had an issue using them with my nitrocellulose-finished instruments. Rubber (even ostensibly surgical-rated tubing) can react with nitrocellulose; if you are old enough to remember visiting guitar stores in the 70s and seeing a ring of nasty discoloration and finish breakdown around the headstock of a guitar handing in a rubber cradle, you'll always be cautious with your nitrocellulose finishes. The Hercules stands are expensive, but they are high quality and road-tough. I've had the same Hercules 5 guitar stand for almost eight years and it's still in great shape.

If the K&M stand is safe for your LP, then it's likely a good choice. I'd say key statements to look for are "non-reactive" or "nitrocellulose-safe". It would be worth emailing K&M and asking if the plastic parts that touch the guitar are safe to be in contact with the finish. It's great that these are described as being color-safe; and I'd also want to know if they are finish-safe. They might be, and I wouldn't be surprised if they just are being cautious about the wording to avoid an implied guarantee.
Hercules stands are explicit about this, and I've never had an issue using them with my nitrocellulose-finished instruments. Rubber (even ostensibly surgical-rated tubing) can react with nitrocellulose; if you are old enough to remember visiting guitar stores in the 70s and seeing a ring of nasty discoloration and finish breakdown around the headstock of a guitar handing in a rubber cradle, you'll always be cautious with your nitrocellulose finishes. The Hercules stands are expensive, but they are high quality and road-tough. I've had the same Hercules 5 guitar stand for almost eight years and it's still in great shape.
Thanks! I went ahead and ordered a single K&M stand in the interim. It is the K&M 17581 Heli 2 Electric Guitar Stand - Cork.
It looks like the cork is supposed to be good for nitrocellulose finishes. I will keep looking for another stand but at $41.87 out the door it will due for now. I will look into Hercules also.

Back
Top Bottom