Just something that I really, really love about the Axe FX 3

Velokki

Inspired
I just crafted a preset with the JCM 800 model. I could tweak every little detail of the amp, to stretch the amplifier beyond its limits and make it do stuff it wouldn't do in the real world. Still, it sounded f'in good, better than the real one, I might say!

Then I just wanted to have my FC12 to jump 10 presets at the time by holding the preset +1/-1 buttons, so I could traverse the preset list on my feet more easily. 1 minute of configuring and I could do it.

I just LOVE, LOVE how this is pretty much a limitless sandbox. I get it, many people are afraid of it because it's "not so easy". I find it easiest of all possible modelers, since if you know how sound design works... it's the easiest piece of kit ever. Everything is logical. And if you just want a simple lead preset with an amp, cab + delay, it's super easy to craft. I've never felt like I couldn't do something.

I get it, it can be a demanding piece of gear, especially for beginners and those who are 0% interested in shaping tones. They just wanna fire up an amp and go. But the funny thing is; exactly that is possible with the Axe! The only difference being that you don't just have that Fender Twin. You have like 300 hundred more amps if you ever wanna experiment! :laughing:

Right! Which video is this, or can you share the preset? Curious!

I think the 2203 starts around the 4:40 mark. I’ll try and post my preset later today for you. Mine has a few alterations, but you can download the preset in the video and it’s a really good starting point.

Agreed.

If you’re just hauling wood you’ve already cut down, a pickup truck and trailer is the perfect tool for the job. A tube amp and cab are like that: perfect for getting that tone you’ve already perfected. Turn it on; done.

The Axe Fx, by comparison, is a space shuttle. Much more range and capability, hence more complicated (less simple to operate), but purpose built for taking you places you haven’t been before. Yes, it replicates famous amps/cabs/effects, but you’re missing out if you stop there. You can go into the unknown.

I love my IIIT, and love my amps too. Use them both regularly, sometimes together. Nothing is right for everyone, and I’m glad there are many options out there.

The Axe Fx is the most powerful piece of guitar processing gear I’ve ever owned or used. Still mind-blowing after 11 years of gigging Fractal units. It takes a lot to remain so impressed for so long, and much of that has to do with the engagement and support of FAS after the sale.

Fractal Audio Systems is in a league of its own.

If you’re just hauling wood you’ve already cut down, a pickup truck and trailer is the perfect tool for the job. A tube amp and cab are like that: perfect for getting that tone you’ve already perfected. Turn it on; done.

Interesting. I kind of view the Axe-FX like that. You can dial in everything at home / rehearsal and know it is going to sound the same night to night. Tube amps sound different depending on the power coming from the wall and slight variations in mic placements. Both tube and modeling rigs will sound different depending on the room.

Last edited:
Interesting. I kind of view the Axe-FX like that. You can dial in everything at home / rehearsal and know it is going to sound the same nigh to night. Tube amps sound different depending on the power coming from the wall and slight variations in mic placements. Both tube and modeling rigs will sound different depending on the room.
I learned the power lesson long ago and use regulated power, even with the Axe Fx, though it’s more for safety than sound in the latter case. But you’re right on venue acoustics… new every room, different empty vs with an full audience, etc. No amp or PA option really solves that, and adjusting for it is part of the art of live gigging.

But removing the things outside your control, or just getting down to playing in the same studio or your own music space at home, it’s relatively easy to do what you’ve always done with what you’ve always used to do it. It’s when you want something new or different that the Axe Fx goes from being “a way to get there” to being “the way.” That was what I was getting at, but I see what you’re saying.

I genuinely enjoy what both options do.

Interesting. I kind of view the Axe-FX like that. You can dial in everything at home / rehearsal and know it is going to sound the same nigh to night. Tube amps sound different depending on the power coming from the wall and slight variations in mic placements. Both tube and modeling rigs will sound different depending on the room.
Not to mention that every night you play, the mic placement is going to be different and unless you're in a larger touring group, the person running sound is going to be different. Even if your tube amp sounded 100% the same at every venue (it doesn't), you have other MASSIVE variables that change your tone just by the nature of a different setup. The Axe gives you the exact same sound/feel every time and takes away all the variability.

Coming from someone who toured for years with thousands of gigs under their belt, having a piece of equipment that can do this is absolutely invaluable and it's one of the main reasons I love this thing so much.

I think the 2203 starts around the 4:40 mark. I’ll try and post my preset later today for you. Mine has a few alterations, but you can download the preset in the video and it’s a really good starting point.

Cool, would love to check out what you did since that video is 3 years old.

This is what the performance pages are for. You set them up with the most commonly used parameters and you can make quick changes.
True, but honestly, it's not t-h-a-t hard to get to any parameter, wherever it is.

For the first months I had my III, I intentionally didn't use AxeEdit at all, because I didn't want to be dependent on having a computer around. That was fine.

These days I use AxeEdit more often then not (home player), because why not, and some things are much quicker.

For you guys who gig with the Axe Fx 3: Do you find the need to have your laptop handy (Axe Edit) to dial in a specific room?
Nah. You get pretty good at zooming around the layout and editing stuff if you need to. But add the basic amp controls to the performance page, and some effect stuff on the global perf page (like delay mix) and you shouldn’t need to edit too much. I also like to have a pedal bound to the drive parameter of the drive block, as the main thing I find hard is to gauge how gain will translate from bedroom to sleezy bar. I set the sweep at about min 1.5 to max 5.

Back
Top Bottom