Just saw this with the Rupert Neve RNDI....very cool

If it’s the same RNDI I have, no - it’s just a really really nice di. Something special about nearly all of Neve’s products.
Edit:
After seeing the video, it appears they are taking the fractal outputs into the di inputs, and then the di outputs to the desk.
I don’t really understand why it would sound better unless they had impedance problems or something going direct to desk from the fractal outputs. Yes they are probably the best DI I’ve ever owned, but in theory they really shouldn’t do much in this application.

Thanks
Pauly
So it's a mic pre in a DI format?

Last edited:
I don’t really understand why it would sound better unless they had impedance problems or something going direct to desk from the fractal outputs. Yes they are probably the best DI I’ve ever owned, but in theory they really shouldn’t do much in this application.

That's what I immediately thought as well. If you're having fizzy highs or whatever, then that's on you :tonguewink:

Save some money and dial it out at the source.

Might have a pleasing box tone with some subtle nonlinearities. But other than that, this makes little sense to me. The way the guy talks about how "dynamic" it is and the "compression" in the same sentence makes me think he's just saying buzzwords. Because the usual use of compression doesn't make something more dynamic... but they are nice sounding words that people say when selling you an audio product.

No comparison of tones offered in the video. I don't see why a Neve DI would be adding amp-like thump or amp-in-room properties. It may have some subtle EQ and/or non-linear distortion going on but if it did more than that I doubt it would make for a good DI box.
That was my first thought but after watching the vids I didn't want to throw that out there as I have a bad habit of posting like that.

Definitely not new. Search the forum and you'll find lots of results.

This is an interesting thread and post from Cliff:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/rndi-between-iii-and-monitors.176821/post-2153161

I believe Matt uses them for IR captures.
Didn't really find anything that was a lightbulb moment and have noway of taking I/R snapshots. Other than the 3 dB bump @ 54 kHz that was found. Maybe that adding some kind of Intermod distortion to the fray that is autiable?

I should add - if you need a di for anything, get the neve RNDI. I have compare this one with a number of other active DIs and it absolutely wipes the floor with all of them. One of those “I cannot describe it… it’s subtle, but it’s real” differences. It just sounds good.

Thanks
Pauly

I should add - if you need a di for anything, get the neve RNDI. I have compare this one with a number of other active DIs and it absolutely wipes the floor with all of them. One of those “I cannot describe it… it’s subtle, but it’s real” differences. It just sounds good.

Thanks
Pauly
Let's be honest for $300 it better be the best DI on the planet!

Let's be honest for $300 it better be the best DI on the planet!

FWIW, it's the best one I've ever used. Second best was Avalon and it was 3x the price. I don't think it helps my Axe-FX, but it sure doesn't hurt, either (FAS doesn't need any help). It handles everything from instrument level to speaker level and it just plain sounds good.

Let's be honest for $300 $600 it better be the best (pair of) DI on the planet!
That's a bit pricey for DIs. I can't swing it.

I'm wondering where Countryman's land in this scenario. That was the goat -to DI for bigger stages for a whole lot of years.
I have a lot of various DIs. I mostly build my own now though. Most of the commercial ones roll off highs and lows in a bad way.

Last edited:
I'm not saying it doesn't do anything to help the overall sound but if it is then there needs to be an explanation that describes what it's doing and why it's doing it.

To buy arguably the best modler on the planet and then have someone say you need this really expensive DI to make it have that something that it's missing to sit right in the mix etc... I need a better understanding of why it does it. Otherwise someone is just selling a very expensive DI.

Wish I had the answer, but if you read up on the history of Rupert Neve, you’ll see he’s a bit of a genius and so focused on quality that not many others can touch him. This is probably the reason why they are so good. His early work with transformers started him on a very long journey toward audio nirvana.

Thanks
Pauly
That could very well! be I just want to know how and why it that I would.

Wish I had the answer, but if you read up on the history of Rupert Neve, you’ll see he’s a bit of a genius and so focused on quality that not many others can touch him. This is probably the reason why they are so good. His early work with transformers started him on a very long journey toward audio nirvana.

Thanks
Pauly
Well aware of who Rupert is and the work that he has done! No doubt it is a great DI, just looking for the technical answer to what it's doing why it's doing it especially with respect to the Axe FX!

Back
Top Bottom