Just geeking out over the FM9

jetdriver1775

Experienced
I just can’t get over how awesome the FM9 is. I’ve had it for almost 2 years now, and I’m still in the honeymoon phase.

I had one last cable to wire up, connecting that expression knob. It’s big, and made to control with your foot. For now, I’m using it to control the mix of a room reverb, from 0 to about 30%. Useful at home jamming alone, and then turn it off probably, with a band or live. Then the expression pedal is always a wah (auto on/off) and in one instance controls the trem speed.

I have a jack on the side for an additional express expression pedal (EV-1) I can use for a dedicated whammy or just tweak the patch to use the onboard one. I like the option to use either. That got me thinking of all the pedals that I have available in one preset, and what that would look like if it was a traditional pedalboard. It would be huge, heavy and very expensive lol. And probably need 3 power supplies. I made a list of all the effects I have on tap. And that’s just in one preset. There are literally hundreds of effects and amps available. It’s pretty nuts. But I use it in a fairly traditional way. I live on one amp in a preset, even tho I could use 2 amp blocks with 4 channels each (8 amps!) I just use one and vary the gain with scene controllers, and/or bring in dirt pedals (real and modeled) to change things up. Even the outboard effects I've chosen aren't really necessary - Fractal has them built in as well... I just like making pedalboards LOL

I used to have a huge board with a GigRig G2 switcher, 2 big Strymons, Eventide H9Max, plus drives, a wah, etc etc. Even that would only be half the size of what this would be IRL. Not to mention the tube amps I sold as well.

Anyway… sorry I’m just geeking out about all of it. I don’t have anyone to talk gear with, so I feel like I’m gonna burst 🤣

Effects that the FM9 replaced, available on the fly in one preset (not including external effects shown):

Chorus
Flanger
FreqOut
Multiple Delays
Multiple Drives
Octave Divider
OctaFuzz
Phaser
POG
Multiple Reverbs
Trem
Tuner (backup)
Univibe
Whammy
Wah

IMG_5343.jpeg

Last edited:
Two years and still in the honeymoon phase. That's how I feel about my wife. :)

Nice looking board. What version of Klon Klone are you using? Or is that an original . . . ?
It's a clone. I bought it from Wish for $25 and it sounds killer. Checkout this youtoube vid. It's actually from a kit that I think they bought in bulk and hand wired them up. The kit is more expensive than the finished pedal tho which is a trip. But it does that thing, and sounds great boosting amps in the Fractal. I use the 'John Mayer' settings (basically 10:00, 2:00, 10:00) to use in front of amps and its great.

Cool, I'll check it out. I was debating purchasing the StewMac Klon Klone kit. I decided that I was happy with the AxeIII model so figured I didn't need it. Always nice to have another drive, though.

Cool, I'll check it out. I was debating purchasing the StewMac Klon Klone kit. I decided that I was happy with the AxeIII model so figured I didn't need it. Always nice to have another drive, though.
Yeah, these are hand wired, in a nice casing. High quality feel and packaging. I’m not a big fan of sending more money to China, but at this price it’s just too tough to pass up. That’s a whole nother topic lol.

Not really needed, but between the 2 drives, I have a few flavors.. the Klon, and a TS/BB combo in the Duellist. Sometimes it’s just nice to have knobs. On that note, as I used to do with my previous pedalboard, take a second and stick o-rings under the knobs. That really makes them firm, and harder to accidentally change settings.

Attachments

• IMG_5603.jpeg
    IMG_5603.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
I just can’t get over how awesome the FM9 is. I’ve had it for almost 2 years now, and I’m still in the honeymoon phase.

I had one last cable to wire up, connecting that expression knob. It’s big, and made to control with your foot. For now, I’m using it to control the mix of a room reverb, from 0 to about 30%. Useful at home jamming alone, and then turn it off probably, with a band or live. Then the expression pedal is always a wah (auto on/off) and in one instance controls the trem speed.

I have a jack on the side for an additional express expression pedal (EV-1) I can use for a dedicated whammy or just tweak the patch to use the onboard one. I like the option to use either. That got me thinking of all the pedals that I have available in one preset, and what that would look like if it was a traditional pedalboard. It would be huge, heavy and very expensive lol. And probably need 3 power supplies. I made a list of all the effects I have on tap. And that’s just in one preset. There are literally hundreds of effects and amps available. It’s pretty nuts. But I use it in a fairly traditional way. I live on one amp in a preset, even tho I could use 2 amp blocks with 4 channels each (8 amps!) I just use one and vary the gain with scene controllers, and/or bring in dirt pedals (real and modeled) to change things up. Even the outboard effects I've chosen aren't really necessary - Fractal has them built in as well... I just like making pedalboards LOL

I used to have a huge board with a GigRig G2 switcher, 2 big Strymons, Eventide H9Max, plus drives, a wah, etc etc. Even that would only be half the size of what this would be IRL. Not to mention the tube amps I sold as well.

Anyway… sorry I’m just geeking out about all of it. I don’t have anyone to talk gear with, so I feel like I’m gonna burst 🤣

Effects that the FM9 replaced, available on the fly in one preset (not including external effects shown):

Chorus
Flanger
FreqOut
Multiple Delays
Multiple Drives
Octave Divider
OctaFuzz
Phaser
POG
Multiple Reverbs
Trem
Tuner (backup)
Univibe
Whammy
Wah

View attachment 122470
How did you replace the POG? Used to own one of those and dug it but not sure how to recreate it on the FM9

I went for a similar sound that Cooper Carter did for Justin Derrico. Dual chromatic pitch, both +12, detuned a few cents each, and panned L/R in stereo. Kind of a 12 string effect. With a little delay and maybe some chorus it sounds great.

I went for a similar sound that Cooper Carter did for Justin Derrico. Dual chromatic pitch, both +12, detuned a few cents each, and panned L/R in stereo. Kind of a 12 string effect. With a little delay and maybe some chorus it sounds great.
Where is the conventional place in your amp chain to place the POG effect?

Back
Top Bottom