Just checkout out the FR12, impressive.

sfla99

I am looking for some additional back line sound for live, so luck would have it my local CG had both the Fender FR12 and the EV PXM12.

Let me preface and say my current monitoring solution is the Redsound Elis.8 which I love but I find outdoors next to the drummer sometimes it can feel like its on the verge of getting lost.

I brought my B rig into the shop which is a Friedman IR-D and some pedals, plugged in and was instantly pleased, I have to admit I was shocked at how good it actually sounded and how it felt, it could be placebo but it just sounded and felt far more can like than I was expecting and the external EQ was a nice addition to fine tune things to taste.

What can I say, I didn’t even get to try the PXM as I felt the Fender would do exactly what I was looking for on stage, I wanted something behind me that looks, sounds and feels like an amp, I suspect the cabinet is what it doing that over the more traditional FRFR’s.

Now for what I personally felt was the downside.

With all EQ at noon on the IR-D and the FR12 it was far to woofy for my personal taste, I am in the classic rock AC/DC kind of range of gain, it sounded big, but the bass made the detail and individual notes vanish, I then kicked it back on its fold out legs which helped bring some definition back due to more direct facing tones but still that bass when palm muting was intense.

I think the EQ would be more than sufficient to properly adjust your tone and make it sound great or dial out unwanted bass etc.

The next issue for me was the size, it’s quite big, actually I wash shocked as it was sitting next to a group of deluxe reverbs and it looked substantially larger.

Not a deal breaker but it does take away a little of the ditch the AMP for a smaller easier to manage rig concept.

As for the PMX I never got to try it as I felt at $599 for the fender, is the PMX really going to be $300 better for guitar only, plus the whole cab on stage thing has me sold.

I asked the store about the FR10 which they told me was on back order and had a waiting list of over 126 people.

I got in the car an ordered the FR10 from fender. I was also looking at the Friedman ASC10 and the Laney FR12, I opted out of the Atomic due to stories of support nightmares, and having the Elis.8 I wanted a cab like speaker versus something like the MF10.

I will update once the FR10 shows up but I am hoping it’s the Goldilocks sweet spot, less woof, more clarity, slightly smaller size and $100 less, I can’t imagine the PMX being $400 better than the FR10, but maybe?

Cheers!

I have the FR10 (2 of them) and the PXM12... they are both great but for the money and for guitar only you made the right choice!

Once it arrives you might want to get WK Smith's preamp fix for the hiss and better sound overall, etc...search for hissterectomy on these forums.

Last edited:
I have the FR10 (2 of them) and the PXM12... they are both great but for the money and for guitar only you made the right choice!

Once it arrives you might want to get WK Smith's preamp fix for the hiss and better sound overall, etc...search for hissterectomy on these forums.
I’ll have to check that out, I thought I had read the hiss was fixed for the most part.

I still have this itch as I was considering the Laney 12 and Friedman 10 but is the Friedman really worth the difference, it’s what $1199 versus the $450 I paid from Fenders site.

There was a used (like new ASC10) within 3h drive for like $550 but I think having the EQ controls on the fender and the weight is going to be a welcomed addition as changing anything on my FM9 that’s now pre configured in the performance screen os not something I want to mess with on stage.

I wouldn't buy one thinking you'll be able to get Liam's mod too soon. Poor dude is swamped, and I'm sure you'd be waiting a long time.

That said, I do tend to prefer 10" speakers for guitar modeler stuff. Like you said, 12" speakers can sound a little slow and woofy. Also regarding the size, the 10 is the perfect size. I think you made the right choice.

I own the PXM too. It's more hifi sounding, and is a way better general monitor. But for guitar specific stuff, the FR10 has the bass response thing that makes it feel more like a traditional amp.

Back
Top Bottom