Issue with FM3 no longer allowing audio playback from computer

allmono

I’ve had an FM3 for a few years and I like to use it to play along with songs I have on my computer (MacBook Pro, Mac OS 12.2). In the past, I would plug headphones into the FM3, hook the FM3 up to the computer with a USB cable, and change my computer’s audio output device to the FM3. I could then play along with songs on YouTube or in my music library. However, my FM3 has recently not been able to play back my computer’s audio. This started suddenly and didn’t occur after an FM3 firmware update. Updating the firmware to 7.00 also didn’t change the issue.

Now, when I change my computer’s output device to the FM3 and hit play on a YouTube video or mp3, the audio plays for a few seconds through the FM3 and then the video / song just stops. It’s like the computer thinks that it doesn’t have an audio output device after a few seconds. I also tried recording my guitar through the FM3 in Logic with the project’s sample rate set to 48 kHz, and I get an error message that says "Error while trying to synchronize Audio and MIDI. Sample Rate 42,861 recognized. Check conflict between Logic Pro and external device.” This never happened prior to the playback issues I’m having.

I tried a different USB cable and it didn’t help. Has anybody else had this issue? I've Googled the error message and tried everything I can, but nothing is working for me. Any input would be much appreciated.

I have a very similar issue when trying to play audio from the laptop through the FM3. I opened a support ticket with Fractal, but sadly the issue is with my laptop because the problem did not follow the FM3 when I hooked it up to my desktop.

I tried all of the suggestions I could find on this forum (change the USB cable, reinstall the drivers, delete the USB devices, ...) but none of them solved the issue. I know it had nothing to do with any Windows updates, driver changes, etc. It just stopped working and after working flawlessly for at least two years.

If I had to guess I'd say it appears to be some kind of buffering issue. The audio will play for a few minutes then just stop. If I pause the audio stream and wait a few minutes I can hit play and all is well for a few more minutes. I do hear a very small amount of popping when the audio does play - similar to when the number of samples isn't set correctly.

Last edited:
I have a very similar issue when trying to play audio from the laptop through the FM3. I opened a support ticket with Fractal, but sadly the issue is with my laptop because the problem did not follow the FM3 when I hooked it up to my desktop.

I tried all of the suggestions I could find on this forum, but none of the solved the issue. I know it had nothing to do with any Windows updates, driver changes, etc. It just stopped working and after working flawlessly for at least two years.

Dang, that's not very encouraging. I might try to update my laptop to the latest OS version and see if that helps, but I'm thinking it won't. Thanks.

I should also say that I have no issues at all if I use my Focusrite interface, but then I loose the ability to use the FM3 easily. It is frustrating.

I’ve had an FM3 for a few years and I like to use it to play along with songs I have on my computer (MacBook Pro, Mac OS 12.2). In the past, I would plug headphones into the FM3, hook the FM3 up to the computer with a USB cable, and change my computer’s audio output device to the FM3. I could then play along with songs on YouTube or in my music library. However, my FM3 has recently not been able to play back my computer’s audio. This started suddenly and didn’t occur after an FM3 firmware update. Updating the firmware to 7.00 also didn’t change the issue.

Now, when I change my computer’s output device to the FM3 and hit play on a YouTube video or mp3, the audio plays for a few seconds through the FM3 and then the video / song just stops. It’s like the computer thinks that it doesn’t have an audio output device after a few seconds. I also tried recording my guitar through the FM3 in Logic with the project’s sample rate set to 48 kHz, and I get an error message that says "Error while trying to synchronize Audio and MIDI. Sample Rate 42,861 recognized. Check conflict between Logic Pro and external device.” This never happened prior to the playback issues I’m having.

I tried a different USB cable and it didn’t help. Has anybody else had this issue? I've Googled the error message and tried everything I can, but nothing is working for me. Any input would be much appreciated.
I had this with my fm9. Turned out that I was using a hub that couldn’t support the bi directional through put required. I moved to a USB port feed from a usb c hub and it works like a champ

I had this with my fm9. Turned out that I was using a hub that couldn’t support the bi directional through put required. I moved to a USB port feed from a usb c hub and it works like a champ

I have my FM3 plugged directly into the USB C port on my MacBook Pro, so that's not the issue here. I thought it might be a bad cable but I ruled that out as well. I've tried multiple USB C ports and had the same issue, so I don't think it's a bad port. I'm stumped.

The OP is on a MAC (as distinct from Windows?) ... definitely update to the latest OS, or the latest dot Release or Service Pack/Feature pack for your system. Perhaps google audio issues with the dot Release that you're on...

This sounds like an OS issue more so than a Fractal issue. Sometimes a minor OS patch can break stuff, and then the next patch makes it right! 🤔😏

Hi, so I'm shooting in the dark in here but I'm having the same issue with my Asus laptop,songs will play for a few minutes then the audio just cuts out, although in my case the laptop doesn't recognize this and continues to play the song altough no output... as anyone found a solution?

Do you have the very latest Fractal USB drivers? They put out new ones in July 2024 to fix some Windows issues.

Do you have the latest BIOS update, and/or chipset and USB drivers for your lap top? Updates these too if necessary. There are a few other USB Windows settings (eg never suspend, never power off, adjust for Background Services).

Lastly, make sure that Windows audio is set to 48khz (24 bit, if you can), and check/adjust the buffer size in FM3 Edit.

I got my fm3 a week ago so pretty sure drivers are up to date
About the USB drivers well I don't have a notification about an update but I will check Manually later today, also about the USB settings
Audio out is 24 bit 48khz.

Just to make clear that fm3 edit and such work smooth it's only when I have audio output back to the fm3...

I'll try to contact fractal support too
Thank you!

What I meant in my reply is that I installed the USB drivers on my PC only a week ago so Im certain they are up to date.

For what it's worth I reinstalled them, didn't solve the problem
Adding to the diagnose is that this problem is not consistent, sometimes it will play fine and other times it cuts out almost immediately

Anyhow I reached out for fractal support, will update when I manage to solve it and how...
And yeah I've seen the 9.00 beta came out, I will update on the official release.
Thank you for the help!

No worries... it sounds like you're doing all the right things. The only other thing I can think of is to check for update to your laptop drivers and BIOS.

Back
Top Bottom