Is there a way to move presets on the FM3 unit?

Dutch22

Clearly, I am able to move and re-arrange presets in FM3 edit (in the manage preset window).
However, I would love to be able to move them on the actual unit. Does anyone know if there is a way to do this?

I arrange my live presets in the set list order, but sometimes want to change the order on the fly. It would be great to be able to move them without having to pull out my laptop :)

Thanks !

Dutch22 (Adam)

no way to swap on the unit unfortunately. you'd have to fully save the presets in the new order in another range of blank presets.

to solve that, the Axe3 and FM9 have a setlist function that could help in this situation, and you can swap/move the "Songs" around from the front panel, which could just be 1 preset (or up to 6 "sections").

i'm not at the gear now, but i think the FM3 doesn't have setlist. It would probably be added at some point to match the other units.

Thanks man. Thats what I thought. My Helix had great setlist function. I kinda miss that.
At some point I will eventually move up to an FM9.

Thanks so much

Adam

Is the Song/Setlist feature not yet on FM3? If not, I imagine it will be in the next firmware...

I moved all the factory presets from block A-C to block B-D. Now I can save everything everywhere I want to. I made preset 1-10 some song presets, 11-20 chimy amps, 21-30 clean amps, 31-40 marshall style crunchy amps etc.

I moved all the factory presets from block A-C to block B-D. Now I can save everything everywhere I want to. I made preset 1-10 some song presets, 11-20 chimy amps, 21-30 clean amps, 31-40 marshall style crunchy amps etc.
He's asking about moving presets from the front panel...

True, but then you can take a preset from bank B-D and save anywhere in A. That was my thought..
You can save it to a new slot, but you can't move it.

It's also limited to a single preset at a time.

I suspect this isn't what the OP is after, but of course could be done.

You also can't "swap" 2 presets which you can do from the editor.

You can save it to a new slot, but you can't move it.

It's also limited to a single preset at a time.

I suspect this isn't what the OP is after, but of course could be done.

You also can't "swap" 2 presets which you can do from the editor.
I agree - swapping from the panel would be very nice. As would setlists and song sections. You are not by chance beta testing 6.0?

Not certain what you mean, as there is no designation of Block A - D on the unit. The factory presets are issued in three banks (A - C) of 128 each, leaving 128 empty presets so perhaps that is what you are referring to?

You could also just set up your structure, as outlined above, in the last 128 blocks and skip all the shuffling. The unit will power up to the last used preset anyway.

I agree - swapping from the panel would be very nice. As would setlists and song sections. You are not by chance beta testing 6.0?
No, I'm not... That's why I asked about songs and setlists being on the FM3.

I don't use them so I wasn't sure if they were there or not.

Not certain what you mean, as there is no designation of Block A - D on the unit. The factory presets are issued in three banks (A - C) of 128 each, leaving 128 empty presets so perhaps that is what you are referring to?

You could also just set up your structure, as outlined above, in the last 128 blocks and skip all the shuffling. The unit will power up to the last used preset anyway.
Yes. He means he shifted everything over by 1 bank leaving the first bank empty.

The letter names for the preset banks was more prevalent with the II, but Fractal Bot still uses those labels when doing backups and restores. 128 presets per bank in good old MIDI fashion.

One feature that people don't make mention of using much is the alphabetized listing of presets.

Until the setlist feature comes to the 3, a simple solution to create a setlist w/o reorganizing everything would be to take your handful of presets to be used and place two code letters at the start of the name (so ZA, ZB, ZC, etc.). Now simply have the unit list presets alphabetically and "Voila!".

After you're done, remove the codes and start again. You could actually create multiple active setlists this way (XX, YX, ZX, etc, etc).

EDIT: Just ignore this idea. I was thinking the presets would sort alphabetically for the footswitches. They won't, so this doesn't work.

Last edited:
One feature that people don't make mention of using much is the alphabetized listing of presets.

Until the setlist feature comes to the 3, a simple solution to create a setlist w/o reorganizing everything would be to take your handful of presets to be used and place two code letters at the start of the name (so ZA, ZB, ZC, etc.). Now simply have the unit list presets alphabetically and "Voila!".

After your done, remove the codes and start again. You could actually create multiple active setlists this way (XX, YX, ZX, etc, etc).
That doesn't change the unit at all. It simply sorts the results...

The subject and question of the setlist function was raised above and I'm assuming is possibly related to the OP. You can rename presets from the unit.
Making the preset list show alphabetically sorted doesn't change the order on the unit, it only changes the order of the display.

Back
Top Bottom