Is there a way to assign 1 EV pedal to control 2 different blocks independently within the same preset (based on scenes)?

GregL225

I think the answer to this question is probably no, but I'm trying to figure out if I can use my EV-1 as the controller of a Wah block on scenes 1-4 and then switch the same pedal to control a pitch block (advanced whammy) instead of the wah on scenes 5-8.

Is there some kind of trick that I can use to make that work, or do I need to buy a second expression pedal in order to independently control two different blocks within the same scene?

Yes, there are various ways to do that. If using auto-engage in both blocks, you can apply the modifier to just one channel rather than all. In each scene set the block you don't need to some other channel and bypass it, and the pedal won't engage it.

The multiplexer can also be useful here (see FAS blocks guide). Branch to whammy/wah in the same column and connect both to a multiplexer, then select the row you want per scene via MPlex channels. If you want the two effects at different points in the signal chain you can just use two multiplexers, each switching between the effect block and a shunt. Mixer blocks or pairs of vol/pan or filter blocks can also be used for this type of thing.

Thank you @Bakerman! The multiplexer is a great solution, and I've also changed the controllers on the Wah and Pitch blocks to only Channel A, so that only one is activated per scene (switched blocks to channel B and bypassed on scenes where not used).

Screen Shot 2022-04-17 at 1.46.04 PM.png

The only downside is if I want to have different Wah and Pitch parameters on A, B, C, D.

I suppose that by allowing both block controllers to be set to "All" then using only the multiplexer to select which row to use per scene can solve this, however, I'm wondering if having both blocks auto-engauge at the same time (while only routing one of them through the multiplexer) might be adding unnecessary load on the CPU?

I suppose that by allowing both block controllers to be set to "All" then using only the multiplexer to select which row to use per scene can solve this, however, I'm wondering if having both blocks auto-engauge at the same time (while only routing one of them through the multiplexer) might be adding unnecessary load on the CPU?
There might be a slight CPU increase but I wouldn't recommend worrying about it. If you're near the CPU limit keep in mind there might be a block type/settings with lower CPU usage than what you're actually using the block for, and you could use up to 3 channels while one is that lower CPU state/channel in scenes where you don't need it.

If you're assigning the modifier to just one channel, you can skip the multiplexer and just set bypass mode to thru or mute per channel so only the block you want to hear passes sound in that scene.

Back
Top Bottom