Is there a rolling rack case/storage setup that can store an axe fx3 and FC12?

haloll

I’ve got an axe fx 3 and an FC12, and I’m trying to get down to a single storage container to take to gigs/rehearsals that I can easily roll/carry while having my instrument case on my back. There are quite a few rack options for the axe FX, but it seems like most of the FC cases are separate bags or cases entirely. The goal is to be able to load in/out in a single trip. Would the FC12 fit in a 2U or 3U rack drawer? Or is there a hybrid rack designed for transporting a modeler rack unit plus a foot controller? Or maybe a company that makes a foot controller case that can easily be strapped onto the main rolling rack unit?

The dream goal would be instrument gig back on my back plus a rolling rack behind me that would be able to cover all of my gear.

Racks are 19" wide. The FC12 is 20.2" wide -- maybe you can angle it if the drawer is deep enough? Can always cut out some "templates" with paper to check.

You'd have difficulty getting a FC-12 to fit into any 19" rack drawer. This is because, according to the FC6+12 Owner's Manual, the exterior dimensions of the FC-12 are 20.2" wide with the end caps attached.

FC-12 Dimensions
https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/misc/_DIM-PDFS/FC-12_Layout_Drawing.pdf

Removing the FC-12 end caps only reduces the width of the FC-12 by 0.5" so it still is a problem to fit into a 3U rack drawer. The average internal dimensions of 3U rack drawers are in the 16.3" range for usable internal width.

Welp, this isn't what you asked for, but it does get the job done in one trip so I'll mention it.

Gator Bag for FC12

This fits the FC12, and you can put an expression pedal in the front pouch too.

Gator 4RU rack bag

I've used this for ages now, and the only thing I've done to change it was I swapped out the shoulder strap for something more elastic and with a higher weight handling. I did have the original strap break on me which made me quite paranoid. I was holding the hand straps when it happened, but for peace of mind the new strap has been great.

I've seen the rolling rack solutions but I just can't bring myself to subject my AFIII to all those vibrations. So yeah, this isn't an all in one necessarily, but you can put both of these over your shoulder, it's pretty light, and you still have room for a wearable back pack style gig bag.

I used the SKB unit

This unit will fix the Axe III and the FC12. You have to NOT use the foam carton piece that comes with it for the other 2 footboards.
Everything fits perfectly.

The real issue is that it is very heavy once all packed together. I ended up selling mine.

Which part of it being heavy was awkward? I was thinking with the rollers it would make moving it a breeze and thus the weight wouldn’t be a big issue.

Which part of it being heavy was awkward? I was thinking with the rollers it would make moving it a breeze and thus the weight wouldn’t be a big issue.

I use an extra deep gator case and have room for my Fc 12. Mine is not a rolling case I move everything with my hand truck. But I have thought about getting a rolling case. Look up Gator cases mine is GR-8L. Something to look at anyway.

https://gatorco.com/?s=Gr-8L

Attachments

• IMG_0138.jpeg
    IMG_0138.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 30

Just lifting it up into the truck and carting it up and down stairs wasn't exactly fun. I just found that mine ended up weighing as much as a large 100W tube head. Moving it wasn't a problem with the wheels.

I ended up selling it and got a light weight gator rolling rack and carry my FC6 in a small separate padded bag that I attach to the handle on the rack when rolling it.

Just lifting it up into the truck and carting it up and down stairs wasn't exactly fun. I just found that mine ended up weighing as much as a large 100W tube head. Moving it wasn't a problem with the wheels.

I ended up selling it and got a light weight gator rolling rack and carry my FC6 in a small separate padded bag that I attach to the handle on the rack when rolling it.
Which Gator rolling rack do you have? One of the rack bag style ones?
Those are light, but I'm scared it's not much protection.

Luckily my condo building has an elevator lol. So it’d just be loading/unloading my car. But it’s good to know that it can get excessively heavy. What would you guess total weight was? 50lbs? 90lbs?

I use a 6U rolling rack from Gator to move my Axe and FC6. I have a rack shelf where I store the FC6. It is glorious, when I can actually roll it, but very heavy when I have to lift it

Also what other gear did you have in there besides the axe fx and fc12?

I use a 6U rolling rack from Gator to move my Axe and FC6. I have a rack shelf where I store the FC6. It is glorious, when I can actually roll it, but very heavy when I have to lift it
Having an FC6 wouldn’t be a bad idea. I don’t need all of the foot switches for rehearsals, so I could just take the FC6 in a rack drawer to rehearsals and then use the FC12 in a separate bag for gigs.

Which Gator rolling rack do you have? One of the rack bag style ones?
Those are light, but I'm scared it's not much protection.

I have the Gator GR-Rackbag 4U. It's fine. No issues. I'm playing live every weekend at venues both indoor and outdoors with it.
If you are the one handling your gear, you will take good care of things (like I do!) when transporting it.

I use the Gator GRC-10X12 PU. I have the Axe FXIII MkII Turbo, a headphone amp, a tube preamp (Avalon Vt737sp) and a storage drawer on the front. On the top row off the back (mounting rails on both front and back) I have my rack mounted power strip. My mix board is mounted in the top section that can be opened to various angles. The FC12 sits nicely on the floor of that unit for transport. It is heavy though when it needs to be lifted, but I have a ramp for the truck and such, so on those occasions when I do need to move it, I am rolling all the way ;~)) I upgraded two of the casters to the locking type because only two of the original casters had locks on them and I wanted to be able to lock any wheel at any time. Also, I did not pay the list price you will see at that link. I paid half that for a scratch and dent unit! Love it either way.

Here is a picture of my rig (old pic but case is the same - prior to some rearranging with addition of the Avalon preamp):

myrack_2022jan07-jpg.93970

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom