Is the Mesa 50/50 FRFR?

set theorist

Inspired
I was talking to a buddy of mine who installs sound professionally about getting a power amp for my eventual Fractal purchase. He said, "why don't you just use your 50/50 with full range/flat response speakers." I said that I thought the 50/50 was voiced specifically for guitar and he said power amps are power amps. They all have 20/20 range and that any coloration comes from a pre-amp or maybe the tubes.

What do you guys know about this? My friend is a pro audio guy; but not a guitarist, so he may not really know. Has anyone sent the signal from a guitar oriented poweramp to full range speakers? does it yield full range tone? Can I get full range tone with different tubes?

Thanks - Steve

Tube power amps made for guitar will color your tone because tube power amps respond differently as you crank them up (they compress and distort to some degree) and tubes change as they age (their tone gets darker/warmer and they lose power). Solid state powers are consistent at any volume and over time.

Consider this - different types of power tubes sound different because a tube power amp colors the sound. Please understand that I'm not saying this coloration is undesirable but it does exist. If you use a tube power amp than you would likely turn off the Axe-FX's power amp sims because using a tube power amp defeats their raison d'etre. Again, this is not inherently good or bad but it's important to understand this if you go this route.

I have tried several times to get rid of my tube power amp, and the SS amps I've tried always sound small next to my tube amp. Nonetheless, I keep trying, so I would suggest buying a SS amp, like the ART SLA-2 (from someone with a no hassle return policy), and doing an A/B comparison. I'm thinking of doing just that, and returning the SLA if it doesn't win me over.

Guys,

Thanks so much for your collective inputs. Sixstring, you hit the nail on the head, just try it.

By the way, I'm am seconds away from placing my order for an Ultra. In a few days, I'll be one of you. Wish me luck.

Coincidentally enough, I just got a $600 stimulus check from Mr. Obama. God bless the U.S.A.

I have a Mesa 2:50 (aka the newer 50/50) and went solid state a few months back and I have never looked back. Currently, I have the SLA-2 and LOVE IT!!! I should really get around to selling the Mesa ;)

My experience (and little poem) has been "give it a year, before selling gear", that is, if you don't need the money. A few months from now, you'll be saying, I think "I'll hook that Mesa up and see how it sounds". I've done that so many times and gone "damn, that sounds good, glad I didn't sell it". :D

I tried the Axe thru a 50/50 and a 2:90 in my experimentations. I found them too warm
and colored. I think you'll be happier with SS. If you are going tube, I'd go with a very
clear combo, like VHT power amps thru EV Classics (what I use).

Back
Top Bottom