iPodTouch/iPhone as MIDI controller - it works!

Scrutinizer

Experienced
If you use a Mac, and have an iPod Touch or iPhone, check out the MIDI control apps by iTouchMidi. I have been using the iTM Pad and iTM Tilt apps on my iPod Touch to control parameters on my Ultra. This is amazing.

The Mac and iPod/iPhone need to be on the same wireless LAN or peer-peer network. In application called iTouchMidi OSX needs to be installed on the Mac. I use separate midi in/out connections for my FX1, Axe-FX, and Switchblade in order to use the editor apps with each. For midi routing, merging, and midi channel remapping I use a freeware app called Midi Patchbay. I created three 'patches' in Midi Patchbay:
  • FX1 -> AxeFX[/*:m:31voabgb]
  • FX1 -> (switchblade, eclipse)[/*:m:31voabgb]
  • iTouchMidi -> AxeFX, with all data remapped to AxeFX's midi channel[/*:m:31voabgb]

After testing the setup with the free iTM MidiLab iPhone app, I purchased the iTM Pad and iTM Tilt apps. $5.99 each.

Launching iTM Pad brings up the following screen
iTM_Pad_1.jpg

This app provides 5 pages of controls, selected by the 1 thru 5 buttons. Each page uses a different set of 5 midi CC numbers for the XY touchpad and the three function buttons.

iTM Pad midi CC mapping:
Code:
PAGE#   1       2       3       4       5   
X-Axis  CC#10   CC#12   CC#14   CC#16   CC#18
Y-Axis  CC#11   CC#13   CC#15   CC#17   CC#19
F1      CC#20   CC#23   CC#26   CC#29   CC#32
F2      CC#21   CC#24   CC#27   CC#30   CC#33
F3      CC#22   CC#25   CC#28   CC#31   CC#34
All midi data is transmitted on channel 1
The F1, F2, and F3 switches are momentary, and transmit value 127 when pressed and 0 when released. I think these would be more useful with the AxeFX is they were toggle type.

Pressing the small midi icon (lower left) button slides the F1-3 and 1-5 buttons out of the way, a 'safe mode':
iTM_Pad_2.jpg

The upper left 'X' is the 'spring to default' button. With this feature enabled, the 'control' springs back to a pre-set position. You can set the spring position by touching the desired default position, and double tap 'X'. So one could set the 0,0 position as the spring default, then use AUTOENG=ON in the Axe-FX block to provide an effect that is only engaged when the touchscreen is pressed.

Some things I've tried, using iTM Pad:
  • Whammy, using spring to default feature: dive bomb with gesture on touchpad, release and pitch snaps back to normal pitch and effect block disengages (AUTOENG=ON). Extra points for using Y axis to control a wah or bring up level of echoes.[/*:m:31voabgb]
  • Ring mod, controlling FMULT param. Tap touchscreen randomly, rhythmically. [/*:m:31voabgb]
  • Cocked-wah effect[/*:m:31voabgb]
  • Control delay level and feedback using XY pad[/*:m:31voabgb]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The iTM Tilt app is also very cool:
iTM_Tilt_1.jpg

This uses the iPhone/iPodTouch internal accelerometer to detect movement and or position. Sensitivity can be adjusted with the slider, and tapping the RESET button centers the control. Now I need to figure a way to secure the iPodTouch to guitar or guitar strap.

iTM Tilt midi CC mapping:
Code:
PAGE#   A       B       C       D       E   
X-Axis  CC#10   CC#12   CC#14   CC#16   CC#18
Y-Axis  CC#11   CC#13   CC#15   CC#17   CC#19
All midi data is transmitted on channel 1

There are a few things in each program that could use improvement. The Tilt would be better with a more intelligent damping algorithm. With the iPodTouch motionless on my desk, the dot jitters back forth rapidly. When using the iTM Pad, I wish there was a way to reset the default spring position to dead-center position, this would be very useful when controlling pitch. I wish the iTM Pad F1-F3 switches were toggle instead of momentary. Lastly, I would like the ability to change the midi cc assignments for each control.

Very cool apps, check em out.

...really cool...hey are you the same Scrutinizer that I sold those noiseless Kinman's to a few years back? :mrgreen:

...I don't have a cell phone yet...maybe I'll get an iPodTouch/iphone now...

...how are you diggin' your Ax? ;)

...btw, I finally got me a nice Telecaster (always liked your Lentz)

John Alexander said:
...really cool...hey are you the same Scrutinizer that I sold those noiseless Kinman's to a few years back? :mrgreen:

Hey John! Yes, I still have the Lentz T, and play it more than any of my other guitars. And the AxeFX is amazing.

Congrats on your new Tele! Is that the masterbuilt relic from Buffalo Bros?

That looks pretty cool! I've used one of these from time-to-time, which was clearly an influence on the iPhone apps:

t-35-10.jpeg

Scrutinizer said:
John Alexander said:

Hey John! Yes, I still have the Lentz T, and play it more than any of my other guitars. And the AxeFX is amazing.

Congrats on your new Tele! Is that the masterbuilt relic from Buffalo Bros?

...yeah...it was the blonde Masterbuilt Heavy Relic NoCaster with the medium/jumbo frets and large U-shaped neck...I traded a Martin Custom 0018 along with some extra cash to snag it...great choice...this is very resonant guitar...it just vibrates... :p

Since the reason for MIDI control of a guitar processor is mostly that your hands are busy playing guitar:
How easy is it to control an iPhone with your feet while playing guitar? :lol:

S.R.

Back
Top Bottom