Fixed Interface Working Inconsistently

Neil Beckmann

I'm having weird problems with using the FM3 as an interface that I'll try to be as thorough about below (running on Mojave 10.14.6).

Just got my FM3 delivered last week and it initially worked perfectly as an interface, both alone and as an Aggregate Device with my Behringer UMC404HD (all sessions have been run in 48kHz with the FM3 as the clock source).

Just now after having restarted the FM3, I had it as the sole input interface into Logic (10.5.1) which worked normally for both processed and DI sounds. Then, I switched to the Aggregate Device (Behringer in first four channels, FM3 in channels 5-8) and the audio that came through the FM3's interface was highly digitally distorted (the signal from the analog outputs of the FM3 to my Behringer interface sounded normal). When I went back to having the FM3 as the sole input, it stopped sending any audio to Logic except for some gurgles at about -60db only from the DI channels.

In troubleshooting this, I've restarted both the FM3, Logic and my computer and sometimes a combination of doing these will get the FM3 to work as it should but it's been completely unpredictable for whether it will work normally or not work at all. So far it usually takes 5-10 rounds of restarting all of these until it settles in to working normally.

I also just reinstalled the firmware, and when I opened it up in Logic as the sole input it didn't work at all. I've also tried two different USB cables which doesn't seem to make a difference (and I've had no problems connecting to FM3-Edit regardless of whether audio is being sent). The onboard meters have always shown that both the analog and USB signals are going out regardless of whether my computer is receiving audio from the FM3. All of these problems also appear when I using the FM3 in Ableton so it doesn't appear to be DAW specific.

I feel like I've troubleshooted this pretty thoroughly so far but I'm stumped as to what's going on, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Hi, before the mandatory "did you updated to Firmware 2.00 Beta 1 yet?" and "are you sure you're setting your sessions and sample rate to 48 kHz?" thing... One thing I discovered myself, or at least wasn't as obvious to me is that even if you aren't using S/PDIF from the FM3 to the UMC, somehow the FM3 still wants to be the Master device in the Aggregate Device relationship. This happened to me between the FM3 and a Scarlett 18i20, lots of clipping and distorted audio on recorded sound to Logic via USB.

My solution: Go to the MIDI Audio configuration, select the Aggregate Device and enable the "Drift Correction" box for the FM3 (in case it was enabled for the UMC).

That did it for me weeks ago, even on FW 1.06.

Thanks for the reply! I just tried that (on 1.06) and with the drift correction on and the FM3 in channels 1-4 there was a lot of digital distortion, then when I went to FM3 alone there was no sound. I'll download the beta and see if it makes any difference! (also edited the original post to add that everything's been at 48kHz with the FM3 as the clock source)

Back
Top Bottom