Interesting observation on FM9 vs AX8...your opinions?

I have both the above rigs, but for some reason the AX8 just sounds more organic.

I swap out every week and use both at practice and almost every time I use the AX8, I just notice it sounds more natural. I use both through a Marshall 9005 100 watt rack tube amp into a 4x12. I even leave the cab modeling on and it sounds great with either. I just seem to prefer the more raw sound of the AX8.

Anyone else notice this or have any opinion as to why I may be hearing that?

Even my band mates comment on the AX8 being a better sounding unit.

To some extent going direct into the PC/Monitors at home it seems that way as well.

Have a gig Sat night and might just take the 8 instead of the 9. I will miss the added features and versatility, but for a bar gig of some rock/metal/Pop covers, no doubt the 8 can cover it all.

I remember REALLY feeling the AX8 when I ran it through my mini poweramp and 2x12 for a while. Not sure that the FM9 wouldn't move me the same way using the same setup. I use it differently now, pretty much exclusively FRFR for about a year, or monitors at home sometimes, but I had and still have been feeling it hard.

There was a general feeling I had with the AX8 that many models had a bit more compression and bloom, that a lot of people report noticing as compared to Helix out of the box for example, almost like the Fractal AX8 felt "mastered" in some way. The FM9 modelling is crisper and more realistic than ever. Could that be it?

I remember REALLY feeling the AX8 when I ran it through my mini poweramp and 2x12 for a while. Not sure that the FM9 wouldn't move me the same way using the same setup. I use it differently now, pretty much exclusively FRFR for about a year, or monitors at home sometimes, but I had and still have been feeling it hard.

There was a general feeling I had with the AX8 that many models had a bit more compression and bloom, that a lot of people report noticing as compared to Helix out of the box for example, almost like the Fractal AX8 felt "mastered" in some way. The FM9 modelling is crisper and more realistic than ever. Could that be it?
It's kind of the opposite for me....the 8 feels more direct and open..less compression..The 9 is the unit that sounds more "mastered" to me.

I had both units for some time, and I felt (before I sold the AX-8) that the current hardware has more depth and complexity to the tones.

That was very early in the evolution of the FM-3. Now? I could work with any generation of the Fractal units, but there are clear delineations of the level of modeling they offer per generation.

IMHO, YMMV.

Last edited:
Used the 8 at practice tonight, and I'll be damned it just sounds better to me..as well as it had more cut and I could hear my self so much clearer.
Not saying I don't like the 9 or can't get good sounds, but just a more natural organic and open tone from the 8.

Have you compared the settings on each unit? Obviously they wont all be the same but if for example you are running different eq cuts in the 8 vs 9 or different speaker impedance curves, that’ll probably do it.

Both running +4 out?

we all prefer different things. i used the ax8 last week and prefer the current gen tones. i don't think the ax8 sounds more open or organic or anything. if anything it feels less raw and i have to play the guitar "harder" to pull tones out of the current gen, like i do with a real amp.

I beleive the current offerings fro Fractal are the best sounding versions of they have produced and I have owned all of them (in one form or the other)In my opinion FW 8 seemed to give more life to the amp tones

Have you compared the settings on each unit? Obviously they wont all be the same but if for example you are running different eq cuts in the 8 vs 9 or different speaker impedance curves, that’ll probably do it.

Both running +4 out?
I used pretty similar rigs and the same IRs. Could probably tweak a bit, but I noticed the difference right from the start after I got the FM9. Through my live rig I prefer the 8....through the home studio monitors I can go either way and be happy

I used pretty similar rigs and the same IRs. Could probably tweak a bit, but I noticed the difference right from the start after I got the FM9. Through my live rig I prefer the 8....through the home studio monitors I can go either way and be happy
Try this experiment:

Dont use the ax8 for a month or so, and see what your perception is after.

I used the AX8 for years, and toured all over with it. Awesome piece of gear! When I first got the FM9 it took me a bit to get "my tone" and I used the AX8 live for a while even after getting the FM9 because I was more comfortable with it. But after I had a chance to spend some time with the 9 at gig volume, (and maybe at this point with all the firmware updates), I would never go back. in fact I finally felt comfortable selling the AX8. Either one is great but the 9 is a cut above - especially for recorded tones.

I'm sure I'll end up using the 9 more eventually. As mentioned, I do like the amp controls on the 8 rght there for quick adjustments without having to go into a menu.

I'm a metal guy, and I had an Axe FX 2 and an FM9 at the same time. Both were great, but the FM9 sounds much more natural to my ears.

Back
Top Bottom