Not a Bug Input Noise Reducer "electric" noise

Steps to reproduce:
-> get a clean amp like the princeton, get the gain down, so it's clean
-> go to input block and adjust the noise gate to "Noise reducer" with a threshold around -50 up to -40dB.
-> play a chord and let it ring. Observe the strange electric like noise that is there when the note decays.

I was wondering if this is the way it behaves or a bug? Was having some trouble recently where I observed this noise on my palm mutes and it sounded strange to me.

Let me just do a video of it. It's a noise/harmony like 'bzzzzzzzzz', 'bzzzzz', when you hit the string. Some kind of harmony. I finally figured out what causes it, so now I'm satisfied with my presets and sounds :D

Ok, now steps to reproduce quite easily >>

1. Create a preset with a clean amp like the USA Clean
2. On Input block : choose "noise reducer" gate type, set threshold to -40dB, Ratio: 4.00, Attack: 1ms, Release: 10ms

Play an Em chord and listen to the strange artifacts in the sound. The turn the gate OFF completely and listen again. It can become quite annoying when using a distorted sound and it strangely creates a ton of feedback when used with a guitar cabinet and playing with a band.

For a noise gate you use an extremely short release time, so that the gate almost assumes the behavior of a switch!
When the guitar signal moves around the threshold, the gate begins to switch the signal on and off verry fast again immediately - this creates the strange "chirping" in the end.
Choose a higher Release Time 70ms or more and you will see that the "chirping" is gone. I think it's better to adjust the release time roughly to the release sound of the strings, i.e. at least 300 - 1000ms!

Aha! Ok, thank you. I've had zero experience on how this thing works. Then it's probably working as expected. Someone please do a review if the noise reducer is working as expected and close this one.

Back
Top Bottom