Input Clip Question

ChiroVette

Inspired
Okay, I know the manual talks about tickling the red in the LED input meters, and I am doing that on all presets and scenes.

Recently, I noticed that in some of my presets (Lukather and Gary Moore) when I am playing through any of the high-gain scenes with heavy distortion and processing, when I pick a little more aggressively, as you sometimes do for solos in their genres, and the guitar volume and expression pedals are cranked, I get a red message on the FM9 above the preset name that says, "IN1 CLIP" for usually very brief moments.

Is this something that should concern me? I honestly don't hear a difference in real time when playing, but I am assuming that's because the scenes that this happens in are all heavy-distortion and highly processed/effected signals. The little red clip warning doesn't ever stay on very long, usually just a microsecond, maybe longer if I keep picking hard. I can sometimes force it to stay on for like a second or a little more.

I haven't been too concerned with it so far, because the only time it happens is with scenes that have heavy distortion. It doesn't seem to occur with any of my cleaner tones or even light overdrive tones.

Other than lowering my pickup height, which I read in this forum some suggested to do, is there another solution? That is assuming it is a problem. I mean, if I tickle the red LED's a little, and that's all right, can I also see this as "tickling the IN 1 Clip" light as being essentially equivalent?

Thanks all!

Edit: You know what? Maybe this is a non-issue. I am usually a light-tough player. I just tried something now, and noticed that when I am playing some of the heavier solos in metal'ish sounds like Moore and Lukather, that I can actually eliminate the clip message all together by just forcing myself to play lighter, as per my usual style, and not dig in so hard in the pick. The solos sounded just as good to my ear playing a tad lighter as they do when I pick those notes harder.

Last edited:
The "tickle the red" advice is obsolete and has been replaced by the clip indicator. Turn down your sensitivity until the clip indicator goes away when strumming forcefully. If you still see the indicator briefly on rare occasions, I wouldn't worry about it.

So I think the issue I reported in this thread is a non-problem. Without tweaking a single setting, just picking a little lighter gets me to where I almost never get more than an occasional clip message. The Lukther solos I found were much easier to get rid of the input 1 clip. The second solo on Still Got the Blues (Gary Moore) was tougher to pick lighter for some reason, as it is a much more aggressive solo. Still, I tweaked my playing technique to get rid of close to all of the clipping even on this one. I would have to record playing the solos for these tunes both picking a little heavier and lighter, if I want to be certain; but without measuring it yet, I think that I'm not losing any feel or nuance by picking them lighter. In fact, the Lukather stuff in particular may sound better picking my usual "light touch" style. I know that I almost never get these errors playing any of the Jerry Garcia stuff or most of my other material.

Unless you still think it's a good idea to turn down the input sensitivity anyway?

Back
Top Bottom